Rally Countdown - PRTJ

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, four out of eight injectors were bad. Two were especially dismal. Number 6 and 1. Six leaking like it was a DPS stage 1.:eek: One leaked, and didn't even want to pop open most of the time. It would just spit the fuel out of the return rather than the nozzle. And when it did, it was a **** stream that was way off center. Terrible.:puke:

The good news is that the vibration is much better. The not so good news is that the vibration is not gone.:mad: Is it enough that I feel unsafe hauling the fifth wheel. I don't know yet. I still need to get it out on the road and see how it behaves. Do I think the SMF is not balanced as it should be........yes. Do I have time to pull the flywheel and have it rebalanced.........no. I didn't get done until late last night, so I will have to see how it does on the road this weekend.

Wish me luck boys.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's weird. I just don't understand why it would be worse towing than not. Sorry the injectors were not the fix, but it doesn't sound like the effort was a waste. If anything, you'll be getting better milage.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thinking is the more load on the engine, the more pronounced the disproportionate distribution of power (vibration) from the bad injectors. Those injectors certainly lost function while sitting unused all that time. No doubt that will help power and economy. If the vibration is no worse towing than it is rev'ing in netural, then I'm not worried and would be fine with towing the 5'er all the way to the rally and back.;Sweet

I'm a little disappointed, but not disheartend. I still have some more testing to do, but I fell much better about things now.

Heath

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks good Mel. With cancer, you gotta cut it out. Plasma cutter eh? Very nice.

Heath

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea. Was a Birthday present to myself. A Miller 375Xtreme.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hey Heath I may be in a similar situation, since we talked the other night that got my curiosity levels elevated. What do ya know, Goldie has a vibration too but thinking it may be a driveline issue. Hmm it was raining and 10 pm so it didn't get investigated yet. :dunno

Glad ya found funky injectors tho.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Heath I may be in a similar situation, since we talked the other night that got my curiosity levels elevated. What do ya know, Goldie has a vibration too but thinking it may be a driveline issue. Hmm it was raining and 10 pm so it didn't get investigated yet. :dunno

Glad ya found funky injectors tho.

Seriously? If it seems to be a SMF issue, let me know. I wonder if SBC had a bad batch of them or something. There is a race shop in the area that can balance mine if I need them too. They do dirt trackers, drag racers, diesel sled pullers, and the like. A guy I know is having them work on his Dmax puller as we speak. Honestly, I hope I don't need them for squat until I start the DT466 build.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Like you too I certainly hope not Heath. I'm burning the midnight oil getting the paying jobs finished priority one and will hopefully be finished up by Saturday night so I can attack Goldie's needs. Let's keep in touch as to what's found.
I'm hoping for a bad joint since she did get run pretty hard at the track last year.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I'm hoping for a bad joint since she did get run pretty hard at the track last year.

o good point, Heath sorry if i missed it but have you checked for sloppy u-joints. i bad one at my rear axle caused some vibes on mine like you are describing. lost wheel weights?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
o good point, Heath sorry if i missed it but have you checked for sloppy u-joints. i bad one at my rear axle caused some vibes on mine like you are describing. lost wheel weights?

Yup, the spicers look great and are tight as a tick. The vibration can felt with the truck in neutral, just rev'ing it. So it doesn't appear to be in the trans, underdrive, t-case, or drive shaft.

Heath

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
:eek::eek: Man, I don't feel as bad nowLOL I'd love to have an hour meter to see how much time we cram into our trucks come rally time:rotflmao Good luck guys, the IDI gods will align:angel:

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No truck for me. The new A/C compressor decided to snap off the liquid line fitting. The replacement is on the way but wont make it here before I leave Monday. So unfortunately looks like it'll be the Chrysler. A/C makes wife and kids happy. We're leaving way early and stopping in Washington to visit the Smithsonian Museums and do some touristy things.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heath... What would it take to loosen the clutch from the flywheel and colck it around 180 degrees. I'm seeing an inspection plate under the clutch and flywheel in my dreams. I have no idea if you even have such a plate but if you di just removing the bolts. Marking it and turning the crank might get you what you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online