Radiator suggestions

Gachris

Reaction score
I have 93 f350 that someone added an aftermarket turbo to it and in normal conditions she runs about 210 . Pulling a load she crept up to 230 . Just had engine rebuilt with new thermostat, water pump , belt and clutch fan . Also had real temp gauge installed . I checked accuracy of gauge seems to be right . Radiator has not been changed tho . Any suggestions ?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Champion 4 core radiator is a popular option if your radiator is bad, when you replaced the thermostat did you use an aftermarket one or a motorcraft one? The aftermarket thermostats do not work well with these engines.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your radiator is original, see if you can find a place to get it rodded. Those original brass radiators are better quality than anything you find today.
Where in GA are you? I just had a guy rod one of mine in Flat Rock Alabama. Its not far from the north GA line.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here's another thing to throw out there. If your recently rebuilt engine has very low miles on it, there's a chance that it's running warmer than normal until it brakes in. I had a 460 do this to me once. I got rid of it before it was fully broken in. The guy who ended up with the truck drove the dog crap out of it (foot must have been on the floor for the entire 1000 miles he put on it) and after that, it never did run hot no matter how much it was pulling.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have 93 f350 that someone added an aftermarket turbo to it and in normal conditions she runs about 210 . Pulling a load she crept up to 230 . Just had engine rebuilt with new thermostat, water pump , belt and clutch fan . Also had real temp gauge installed . I checked accuracy of gauge seems to be right . Radiator has not been changed tho . Any suggestions ?

How stiff is your fan when you shut it off at full operating temp and try to move the fan with one finger? A weak fan clutch will be very easy to move. The fan will still turn with the engine, but not as fast as it should, resulting in higher temps. A new MC fan clutch (and thermostat) dropped my RV's average temp range from 190-210 to about 180-195. It's stiffer than the old fan clutch. I carry the old one as an emergency backup since it easily tucks away in a cabinet inside the box from the new one.

Gachris

Reaction score
Just an update on the temp issue . The kid before me had the injection pump turned way up . Turned it down a good bit and the temp is normal . Thanks for all the help

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sounds like a fairly easy fix. A lot of people seem to want to turn up the fuel, but they also don't seem to realize that without extra air to burn that extra fuel, it's a waste.