Radiator replacement

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions. My radiator is leaking pretty bad so I'm looking at a replacement. Does anyone make an aluminum wide style radiator? My searches only come up with tall aluminum radiators. I can always go with a spectra, but I would prefer an aluminum if possible.

Second question is about the water pump. I can detect a small amount of play in the water pump pulley. It's hardly noticebable, but is any amount of play acceptable?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

cahner

Reaction score
I looked long and hard and was not able to find one in aluminum. 1800 radiator will price match and deliver to your door with a lifetime warranty that is easily used.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://shop.performanceradiator.co...ath=1_15098_16523_16635_16639&product_id=5730

Is company has good stuff. I believe Mel is a retailer for them as well. This isn't an aluminum radiator, but a copper and brass one. No plastic tanks from what I can tell.

On the water pump, when the radiator is out, change that thing. You are just prolonging the inevitable, and you won't have to change antifreeze twice if you do it now. Go ahead and spend a few extra bucks and get a motorcraft pump. They have machines mounting surfaces and are just a generally better quality pump than the parts store brands.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted bout the pump. Its just a matter of time before it really gets bad. With the radiator out there is no easier time replacing the pump. Just remember those top 2 bolts are a special length and like the bottom 2. the 4 bolts REQUIRE thread sealant because they go thru the mounting plate to the oily side where the gears are. Without thread sealant they will leak oil and make a big mess. Just a friendly note please remember to hang the fan shroud on the fan before the radiator is installed.

cahner

Reaction score
Great reminders. If you have the wide radiator, no need to hang shroud on fan first since it is a two piece and will easily go on after all is in place.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will plan on doing the water pump as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Motorcraft pump lasted all of 12K miles on mine. Just installed an AC Delco. Hopefully it gets a bit more life.

Mike

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have installed a Mishimoto rad on each of my trucks(89,91). Both seem to be performing fine. The 91 is my D.D. I have put about 10000 since replacing it, so far so good. To early to tell on the 89, minimal miles. I have installed a coolant filter on each truck same time as replacing the radiator. Seems like cheap insurance to me.