RADIATOR QUALITY

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning all.

So my now 1 year old aluminum radiator from Napa has blown its top.

Yes, it has a plastic top.

I can see the coolant running down the back, and am losing about 2 gallons per day.

Question is, who sells a quality radiator for the 1990 7.3 IDI?

The cheap junk on the market is beginning to really annoy the heck out of me.

THX

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard good things about champion aluminum radiators, that's what my choice would be if I had the tall skinny radiator. I'm in the same boat but have the short wide radiator right now and can't get a champion for it very little options for the wide radiators.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My votes on champion radiators. Ran 2 so far (1 in 87 f250 & 1 in jeep yj).
Quality seems very good and price is even better. Haven’t had an overheating issue with either vehicle.
People also swear by Rodney red radiators. But the price is high, typically more than what these rigs are worth lol.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Champion is fine. I had a 3 row in my truck that got wrecked and I'm running a 4 row in my new truck.
Got tired of buying plastic tank radiators that don't last

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have warrantied my american eagle rad 3x now due to leaks at the welds. We also stopped selling them where I work due to the problems. Maybe the Champion ones are better?

Reaction score
I have warrantied my american eagle rad 3x now due to leaks at the welds. We also stopped selling them where I work due to the problems. Maybe the Champion ones are better?

American Eagle = Champion. It's the name for their 2-row. Link: http://www.championradiators.com/American-Eagle-Ford-F-series-diesel-radiator-shroud-1983-1994

Aside from the American Eagle, Champion makes a 3-row and 4-row for our trucks, assuming you have the tall/narrow radiator. Link: http://www.championradiators.com/Ford-F-series-diesel-radiator-1983-1994

I have a 4-row. No complaints.

Mike

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas.

Now to decide on a 3 v 4 row. I live in Socal, so summers are hot, and I drive a couple of steep hills. Will I benefit from the 4 row, or is it a waste, and does a 4 row crowd the fan?

Champion it will be!

Thanks again.

Reaction score

Now to decide on a 3 v 4 row. I live in Socal, so summers are hot, and I drive a couple of steep hills. Will I benefit from the 4 row, or is it a waste, and does a 4 row crowd the fan?

Champion it will be!

Thanks again.

So, I actually had both. I started with the 3, then upgraded when they came out with the 4. Overall dimensions are the same. The widest part are the tanks, and they're the same for both. The core, though, IS wider on the 4-row, which does close the gap between the fan clutch and the core. No clearance issues, and I actually think it makes the fan work BETTER because it gets the heat closer to the clutch spring. My fan engages more often with the new radiator than it ever did with the 3-row.

Here's a thread I did with all sorts of good info: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/...ifications-including-comparison-to-oem.59162/

Since you're SoCal, I would highly recommend doing a Will Call and picking it up local in Lake Elsinore. I've heard their packaging has improved slightly, but Champion has a bad rep for using crappy, thin boxes that don't take well to shipping. Doing it this way lets you inspect it prior to accepting, too.

Mike

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've been running the plastic tanked ones in my fleet. oldest one is 3 years old. my trick on keeping them intact is running 7lb caps. in fact, I've been running 7lb caps for years in all my trucks. Cooling system issues are rare in my fleet. but when disaster strikes, it's a good one :O

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run 7lb caps before also with no issues. The only difference you will see is in the coolant level of the overflow reservoir. The level will change more radically with a 7lb cap when the engine is hot versus cold.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been running whatever Plastic Aluminum Rad that Advance Auto sells...zero issues and a lifetime warranty.
However...the same Plastic Aluminum Rad I installed (from Advance Auto) in my 81 Corvette does weep, and I'll replace it with the same kind.
I still have both OE Brass/Copper Rads from my Truck and Vette > > > the price to rebuild them is $600+ and only come back with a one year warranty. They will be going to the scrap yard for $$$

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from a 14lb cap to a 13lb- yeah- big change I know.... but have a feeling those pressures contribute to the cheezieness.

Here's another thing I noticed, both my factory and new one both gave up on the passenger side at the top. Is there a flow/heat issue in that corner of the radiator, or is it just my coincidence? I'm not a big coincidence guy, and why I'm asking. Not that I would know how to cure that issue.

Did buy a flow kooler circulating pump, and also have a new a/c condenser, will do them all at once. I'm a bit worried the flow kooler will aggravate the radiator core issue, due to its increased flow. Flow doesn't necessarily equate to pressure with a circulating pump I know, BUT, thinking out loud.

When looking at the choices, the 4 row was my decision too. I like the extra cooling. Since my rig has the heavy duty fan, it is basically "on" all the time anyway. May have to start using cardboard to block some of the radiator in winter.

Again, you guys are great!! Thanks for all the good gouge!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from a 14lb cap to a 13lb- yeah- big change I know.... but have a feeling those pressures contribute to the cheezieness.

Here's another thing I noticed, both my factory and new one both gave up on the passenger side at the top. Is there a flow/heat issue in that corner of the radiator, or is it just my coincidence? I'm not a big coincidence guy, and why I'm asking. Not that I would know how to cure that issue.

Did buy a flow kooler circulating pump, and also have a new a/c condenser, will do them all at once. I'm a bit worried the flow kooler will aggravate the radiator core issue, due to its increased flow. Flow doesn't necessarily equate to pressure with a circulating pump I know, BUT, thinking out loud.

When looking at the choices, the 4 row was my decision too. I like the extra cooling. Since my rig has the heavy duty fan, it is basically "on" all the time anyway. May have to start using cardboard to block some of the radiator in winter.

Again, you guys are great!! Thanks for all the good gouge!
not to be redundant, but are you ABSOLUTELY positive you have a OEM thermostat in your truck?

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to be redundant, but are you ABSOLUTELY positive you have a OEM thermostat in your truck?

Yeeeup... the 190*F purchased directly from Ford parts department

It's only about 2 years old as well.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Champion it will be!

Thanks again.

4 row in socal.. might as well live in the Amazon.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance