Radiator Flush

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the 94 IDIT the radiator has obviously had tap water in it, I noticed some of the fins are a little caked up with calcium. What does everyone recommend for cleaning this out? It looks like the original brass unit so I am unsure about using vinegar as vinegar corrodes brass. I am not sure the parts store flushes will remove the calcium/lime scale. I haven't flushed a radiator in 40 years so I am looking for some help and suggestions.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Problem is, that buildup is stopping leaks.
I ran clr in my radiator, cleaned it great, but developed leaks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Urea hydrochloride with rodine otherwise as thin as it is you're just better off replacing the radiator with an aluminum one. It's almost guaranteed to leak.

Radiator flush from Preston contains phosphoric acid and some corrosion inhibitor would be OK for a safe cleaning but may not get it all the way clean and still a risk for leaks

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gentleman, the truck and house build just got put on hold, I had a heart attach last night and things will need to sit for a while. If I cannot get this one clean without making it leak I will order another one.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gentleman, the truck and house build just got put on hold, I had a heart attach last night and things will need to sit for a while. If I cannot get this one clean without making it leak I will order another one.

Sorry to hear bout heart attack.

Here is my take....on 1 truck I purchased about 130k miles on it...ungodly amount of hours though...logging service truck....

Coolant was a nice rich n thick nestle quick chocolatey brown goo....

Flushed with prestone rad flush...more brown goo...flushed with tap water....more brown goo...flushed several times ti came clean...removing block plugs.

Added distilled water n coolant....finally

Water pump began to leak....lost coolant

Replace pump....flushed with plain water...ran few days like that check system...top up w good fresh coolant and diztilled water.....week later rad leaks...bad...need get hkme so dump water in...another 4 gallons coolant $$$$ gone.

Replace rad....and thermostat...and hoses..all hoses....run water....no leaks...week no leaks 2 weeks no leaks...add coolant n distilled water...drive for months....excellent...

Get up go to fuel...engine blows da #÷€$ up...4 more gallons of $$$ down the drain....engine blowing was nothing to do with coolant system but you get point.

Flush at yer own risk. In case ya lost track that was a total of 16 galloms of coola t a d 16 gallons of distilled water $$$$ gone...plus time.

Ye be warned....

Now get well and heal ...get life on track......then get in there flush and replace rad and prepare for a water pump possibly...budget it...a thermostat and hoses are good when rad swap.

JM7.3CW Eh!....praying for speedy recovery

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Al, it does get warm but I have kept it from overheating by going slower. I can see the closed off tubes so even if it leaks this radiator is in need of help. If it is too far gone then a replacement will happen, if not then a bullet was dodged. I may get lucky, I got lucky last night, I died and they revived me so things are looking up. :D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Al, it does get warm but I have kept it from overheating by going slower. I can see the closed off tubes so even if it leaks this radiator is in need of help. If it is too far gone then a replacement will happen, if not then a bullet was dodged. I may get lucky, I got lucky last night, I died and they revived me so things are looking up. :D

Better to keep luck on health side not waste it on truck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow is best I can say at this time. So you have gotten 2 warnings. Heart attack that stopped your heart... but restarted and things are looking up... That right there is a lifes warning and time to change how you are living life. Sadly eating, drinking and smoking usually are given up to live a safer life. It becomes a personal decision.
Now the heavy buildup in the radiator.. Very similar to what might be happening in your heart. If you tried running a cleaner you probably will have leaks but at least you are aware of this going in. So it will be no big surprise if you spring a gusher. Do a search for aluminum radiators on this forum. Plenty of good information on what is available.
Here is a hope that you get better and live a happy life as best is possible. No worries either. what will happen will happen... Very sorry about the heart attack. They can't be a fun experience ever.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe what Icanfixall said about changing your life style. You are at the point where you must do something different, to keep living. I am sure you will make the right choices.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our bodies are amazing things. I don't drink, I get plenty of exercise and live a pretty much stress free life but I do smoke. Heart attack came out of no where, I had the arterial scope back in 2012 for my dizzy issues and my cardiologist was very pleased with my circulatory system. I have no appreciable plaque and only a few localized areas with any buildup. My diet has always been what I want when I want it, I am Irish and hat means I eat a lot of meat and potatoes. :D I do eat a varied diet but yes a lot of meat and taters.

I quit smoking, right after I was revived. My wife has also quit smoking. Dietary changes are not a concern of my cardiologist as my body hasn't had an issue with my diet of 53 years. I won't be changing my activity levels other than a decrease for a while until I get my strength back. The thing I have no choice with is smoking, I have no choice if I want to live.

I encourage anyone who smokes, don't be like me, quit now. It doesn't matter how healthy you are, how low of a risk you are for a heart attack, if you smoke you are increasing your likelihood of having a serious health issue, one that may take your life.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the great update. Smoking is a killer and it sure does not make a person look great or attractive in any way. My brothers and sister were promised 100 bucks if we never smoked by age 21. We had to place our hand on the bible and swear we never smoked. I'm the only family member out of 2 younger brothers and an older sister that got my 100 bucks. Brothers "think" smoking cigars is cool. Couldn't be any more stupid than that. Seems we change when we get warned if its a huge warning. I worked with a fool who had triple bypass and kept smoking cause his dr said he was in great shape... WTH.. I asked him if he thought of getting a second opinion on that... Nope.. He was happy with that .... Glad you have a good outlet on this. Bet it will be great to dig into the truck once again and now think of all that money you can spend on it and not purchase sigs.. That right there is a Rodney Red aluminum radiator at around 800 bucks.. But it will be the last radiator you will ever buy.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 29, very active, somewhat in shape, eat somewhat healthy never smoked, only drink a little and I've had high blood pressure most of my life. Completely healthy otherwise. Sometimes are bodies just suck too haha.