Radiator fan rub on shroud... Ford puzzled

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my truck in for some work and asked the mech to look at the radiator fan, which had been rubbing on the fan shroud (had 1/16 inch of clearance).

The Ford mechanic couldn't find any reason the fan would be rubbing. He suggested maybe the PO installed a larger fan blade, or a smaller fan shroud, or (as I believe) that the back of the engine was tilted downward to allow for firewall clearance between the turbo and the firewall or something else in the back of the hood compartment.

Anyone have experience dealiing with Banks turbo installs and the specific fit issues associated with them?

How can the engine be forced to tilt? I thought it could only install straight and level.

Mike

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
I had my truck in for some work and asked the mech to look at the radiator fan, which had been rubbing on the fan shroud (had 1/16 inch of clearance).

The Ford mechanic couldn't find any reason the fan would be rubbing. He suggested maybe the PO installed a larger fan blade, or a smaller fan shroud, or (as I believe) that the back of the engine was tilted downward to allow for firewall clearance between the turbo and the firewall or something else in the back of the hood compartment.

Anyone have experience dealiing with Banks turbo installs and the specific fit issues associated with them?

How can the engine be forced to tilt? I thought it could only install straight and level.

Mike

Most diesels in trucks are mounted with a slight to moderate fore to aft tilt to help with the driveline angles.

Also most Class 8 diesels are also tilted to one side.... so that when under full power and torque load... the engine comes to vertical within the chassis.

As for your problem... sounds like the fan shroud is too small.... get out the sawzall or die grinder and customize it.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Where on the fan shoud is it hitting? If it is hitting at the top, maybe the rad has shifted downward, or maybe the core support bushings are bad, or the core support is rusty. I would think it would be pretty hard to change the angle of the drivetrain so much that the fan would hit.
John

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May not be your case at all, but clearance behind the turbo is real tight and sometimes requires that transmission mount be shimmed down to give clearance between firewall and turbo plumbing. This could rotate the fan into the shroud. If you use the sawsall, beware of knocking a hole in the radiator.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks... Well, I'm not sure exactly when the problem began, as the grinding noise was barely audible, only present on downhills, and the cause only found after close inspection of the fan blades and shroud. Turbo went on in '03. New BTS trans in mid '04. Front end rebuild and new motor mounts went on in early '04, including new radiator bushings. SO... pretty much everything that could have started the problem was done within a year, and the problem wasn't noticed till late '04.

Thanks for all the replies... looks like things are normal and it is possible that the trans mount wasn't shimmed when the replacement trans went in.

Mike

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
... looks like things are normal and it is possible that the trans mount wasn't shimmed when the replacement trans went in.

Mike
never heard of such thing all these years working on and canibalizing Furd trucks. One thing you haven't said is how old is the radiator and has the studs the radiator hangs on on the support been checked?

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
hey, mike.
my shroud is still hanging on my garage wall (OOPS! :eek:)... forgot to put it back on last year when i did the cooling system rebuild.

will it help any if a snap a pic or two? need dimensions?

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
hey, mike.
my shroud is still hanging on my garage wall (OOPS! :eek:)... forgot to put it back on last year when i did the cooling system rebuild.

will it help any if a snap a pic or two? need dimensions?

Towcat, not sure about those mounting studs...

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your rubbing on the top, also check the rubber bushings and shims under the radiator support to the frame. On our 83 F250, I dropped it on its nose and knocked some of the shims loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online