radiator bad

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well went to fill the radiator tonight and possibly take it for a spin around the block to see how the cummins behaves....i filled it about half way and found out my radiator has a hole right in the middle...needless to say i am pissed-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss so i am currently trying to track one down i guess i will have to wait until next year to drive my truck :backoff

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very temporary patch is clean it and put a gob of bondo on it, leave the cap loose , old dirt tracker trick.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol never heard that one before its a pretty big hole i think my dog ran in to it while it was out

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bigger than the end of a tire iron? That what went thru the one we patched, stuff some down the tubes then slap it on.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kept the monster Ford radiator in mine and installed a new Ready Rad one from Advance about two years ago; so far, I am well pleased; the Ready Rad seems to be as good, if not better, than the factory original.

You can put four of the Dodge/Cummins radiators inside one of these Ford monsters.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't you have a radiator shop? I got one. I'd just take it over there and get it cleaned and fixed. :dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think my dog ran in to it while it was out

Nah........it wasn't the dog.............:yell:IT WAS THE GOAT!!!!LOL:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao It's horn RAMMED your radiator. That's the trouble you get in when you start messing with those goat motors.:D

Just yank'n your chain.....he...he...he;p

Heath

Last edited:

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dam goats:backoff.... i was looking for a radiator shop but then i was thinking about getting an aluminum one off ebay they are only $300 and i dont want any leaks down the road.... after all the things i have found wrong with the truck while doing this conversion i almost wish i hadnt done it but i have had a lot of fun building it :thumbsup:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
dam goats:backoff.... i was looking for a radiator shop but then i was thinking about getting an aluminum one off ebay they are only $300 and i dont want any leaks down the road.... after all the things i have found wrong with the truck while doing this conversion i almost wish i hadnt done it but i have had a lot of fun building it :thumbsup:
I don't know if I'd want to fool with one of those $300 stamped aluminum jobs on ebay, they look mighty flimsy. if you ever leaned over on the thing while working on the engine, it'd be all over but the cry'n . Spend a few bucks more and get a high quality, high capacity aluminum radiator from Rodney Red and you will have Zero regrets

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had a wrench slip and whack my old radiator right in the center, I wiped off the most of the anti-freeze and smashed a blob of two-part plumbers epoxy putty over the hole.

It remained leak-free for several years after and was still holding when I swapped it out.

That two-part stick epoxy stuff is wonderful.;Sweet

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I remember a bad core being repaired was to cut the core, clean it well, fold each end over then solder them shut. The key to it is flux

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the best thing for me is to get a replacement i didnt know the aluminum ones on ebay were stamped out so i probably wont get that and i have tuition dues next month for college so i think i will just get a used one from the local junk yard.... althouh i have never heard of most of your suggestions except the egg trick i think the whole is to big to patch even tho you cant see where its damaged with out puttin fluid in it once you do it squirts out like a water gun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigal093