RABS delete?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's mine.

Let's start with the rabs valve itself. Look at the picture of the installed rabs delete, above. You see those two fittings on the valve, that the brake lines screw into? I pulled those, to take them to town with me, to be sure I got the right fittings, in town.

1627150869244-png.149616

Here are those two fittings. The threaded portion of these is hydraulic. Not brakes. Not NPT, but hydraulic. If you have a hydraulic shop in your town, you may actually get lucky enough to find a fitting that those two will screw into the ends of,, and then you are finished!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Nearest hydraulic shop to me is in everett. I didn't want to drive all the way out there in just the hopes that I would find something. Maybe next week.

POINT: The brake line nuts are confirmed to be 3/8 - 24. And 1/2 -20. You want to find inverted flare fittings that those will fit into. Also note that they MUST be for a 3/16" line or tube. The shops have tons of them for larger sizes. And no shortage of the 3/8 -24 flares for 3/16 line. But the 1/2 -20 flares made for 3/16 line are almost unobtanium.

Now here is the bypass that I built from fittings I found in town. Note that the only 1/2 - 20 inverted flare that I could find between here and snohomish, was not 1/4 NPT on the threaded portion. It was 5/16 NPT. I had to buy a die, and change the threads to 1/4 NPT. Because the die bottomed out before many threads were formed, I only succeeded in getting maybe 4 threads into the 1/4 elbow.

I did use the liquid thread sealer intended for brakes and hydraulics. And it is pretty tight. So maybe it will be fine. But I am not counting on it. Ergo, probably going to find a hydraulic shop instead, next week, and see what I can do with those fittings out of the rabs valve itself. In the meantime, I am going to be treating the brakes gingerly.

Now here is my bypass, installed.

Note that I am also under no delusion that those giant wire ties are going to last. I just wanted to do something to reduce vibration as much as I could.

In addition to finding a hydraulic shop next week, I may just get online and order all the CORRECT fittings, to build this again, but with all correct, and correctly fitting, pieces.

Last... I am considering taking that RABS valve off of there. Dismantling it. And seeing if there is some way that we could just drill and/or tap a hole somewhere inside the valve body. To install a 1/8NPT plug, or smaller, to essentially turn the valve itself into that simple bypass.

Last edited:

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are right. the 1/2x20 inverted flare fitting in unavailable. I was just thinking of taking the whole line off, cutting off the 1/2 inch fitting, and putting a 3/8 on. My napa guy said he would flare it for me.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two fittings and a hose means you don't have to bend the steel lines to connect them. Advance had 2 fittings (BLF17C + BLF23C) for $8.49 to connect one end of 3/8x24 hose from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RF53Z...colid=ONTDRRTPZC10&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it) for $11.54. Other end hose connects to brake line, no pipe threads involved. Picture if needed.

I know, said I would not post until pictures ready but fan clutch still KMB and thread still topical so.....
Looking back, this is what I did.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, just for kicks and grins, while I was already in Everett... I went to a hydraulics supplier. The kind of place that makes hydraulic hoses.

I asked them to make me a short flexible brake hose with 1/2-20 inverted flare on one end, and 3/8-24 inverted flare on the other end.

This is what I received:

It's not a lot of hose, so I won't have a lot of it flopping around. But there is enough to make a u-shape if I want to install it that way.

I have decided to replace a bunch of the hard lines on the truck anyway. Going to cut them myself, and flare, etc. They had none of the copper nickle hose at my auto place, so I got the poly coated steel.

Anyway, I am thinking of running new hard line everywhere, and then use this short line in the front, in place of the RABS, to connect the MC line, to the hard line that goes to the rear. It would work just like the flex line that connects that same hard line to the rear axle TEE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86