R134A Schrader Valve? Do I remove the old one for a conversion?

medic265

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've searched here and Google but can't find the answer. I got one of the cheap conversion kits from Advance to convert my truck from r12 to r134a. The instructions were pretty vague. So my question is this: Do I need to remove the schaeder valves from the factory r12 system before screwing on the adapters from the kit? The parts from the kit have schrader valves in them.

Thanks
Greg

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never have. If you look at the adapters in the kits, they have nothing in them but wide open holes. You just screw them in place, and the r134a fitting from the fill/guage hose goes down inside and punches the original r12 shrader valve open.

I will tell you, to be careful screwing the adapter on. They put a little o-ring in there to seal it to the r12 fitting, and the o-ring likes to roll up in a ball and tear if you tighten them too tight.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Depends on the kit.
Some will work if you leave the valve there, some don't need it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

medic265

Reaction score
Thanksfor all the replies. I just put on a new compressor and had never put on the adapters. Probably had them 6 years I guess. So I screwed them on but the system wouldn't take any freon. The low side adapter had a schrader valve in it. I bet that I need to take the old one out.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked at another low side adapter I have, and it has a schrader valve in it, but it has a gasket underneath with a pin. It looks like the pin hits the old schrader valve to open it permanently.

The ones that seem to be just open fittings are the high side adapters.

Possibly your old schrader valve is bent and not being pushed by the fitting?