A day on the dyno

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thursday we ran one of my local customer's trucks on the dyno while it still had the stock fuel system. I had previously replaced the hypermax turbo with a box S257 SXE (T4 .91 AR divided housing) and supplied parts for him to build an intercooler kit using the same intercooler and intake filter I use on my kits. The rest of the engine is completely stock, with unknown miles and a relatively bad exhaust valve only making 175 psi on one cylinder but 400+ on the rest.
You must be registered for see images attach

The truck is running a ZF5, 4.10 gears and 35" tires. It has an unknown condition db2831 with an na 7.3 calibration and some stock E code injectors. I tuned the truck on the street, bottoming out the fuel screw (only a #2 leaf spring so fairly limited on that adjustment), backing out the torque screw, replacing the return fitting with one of my fittings, turning in the guide stud to raise the governor and spread the power band out and adjusted the timing. All basic adjustments outlined in my db2 tuning guide. If he had an electric lift pump I would have liked to have done some transfer pressure adjustments, a delivery valve replacement and replace the governor, however with the mechanical pump this can turn into a lot of time priming which we wanted to avoid.

First run on the dyno straight off a 150 mile drive it made the most power at 248hp and 503 ft lbs of torque. I played with different timing settings which helped us pick up some torque, but ultimately did not improve on the hp reading from how I had it set from tuning it on the street.

We did get to do some interesting testing on the intercooler and intake setup, we ran some tests to see if back to back runs would affect EGTs via heat soak (testing the intercooler's ability to exchange heat) and saw very little to no change with changes in performance less than 5hp. Another test was to remove the intake filter (blue 6637 which comes on with my intake and intercooler kits with the black waterproof prefilter) which had a good amount of miles on it and was not brand new. We saw no power improvement with running it without a filter, so good to know that these filters are not robbing any power from the intake system.

Overall we are pretty pleased with the performance of this truck with as much stock parts are on it, basically just a turbo upgrade, an intercooler and some tuning, the power band is very good and although its a little smokey down low the egts are very low and the truck drives nicely. This dyno is pretty conservative on numbers, for comparison big blue ran 160/382 stock through an auto, and a stock 02 7.3 powerstroke recently made 220/450.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're building an IDIT for him with one of my new big bore 370 pumps, we plan on using the s257 on the manifold with an s400 atmosphere charger.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Respectable numbers from the mechanical state and condition. Thanks for the writeup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So how did the torque drop from 777 on run file #4 to 498-575 on all of the rest? Is that a mistake on the 777 number?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now that makes sense. I don't know a lot about dynos, but at least the 777 didn't sound right.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its very responsive, its making over 400 torque at 43 mph bogging it in 4th gear around 1200-1300 rpms.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
A little off subject, but it still deals with the thread title. Since you've now bought out the fuel shop to have your own, are you going to do the same with the dyno shop? That way, you wouldn't have to leave your place very often at all. Just curious.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not for the foreseeable future, I’m pretty tapped on funds as it was a push and a lot of work just to make this purchase happen, would be nice someday.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should look into one of the portable trailer dynos at some point in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86