R12 to R134a Conversion

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys done this/had it done? I've got a 1980 F-350 that I want to convert, and was wondering what I was getting myself into.
Am I going to have to replace the entire system (hoses, compressor, evaporator, condenser etc)?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into getting some more r12? We just picked up a few cans from naps a month ago. A little expensive though.

I converted mine and it wasn't all that bad.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
No you won't have to replace "everything" if those other parts are in good condition. What condition are the compressor and hoses in?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy job. I used to do them all the time and still do one every now and then. Spend the thirty dollars for the good retrofit kit which comes with the good fittings to go on your truck not the junk ones you can get for 10 bucks. The only things I usually replace is the orifice tube and the dryer other than that everything stays the same.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
My system is 100% R-12 system, parts have been replaced over the years but everything is essentially original parts. I basically just filled it up with R-134a and that was it. Just put on the fittings and filled. It's worked fine for about 10 years now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726