quick question

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to put atf in my fuel filter how long should I let it run before shutting it off so it can sit over night and how long can I let it sit?

last question try to drain radiator last night but the drain valve didn't let anything out. It is a little damaged looks like someone used pliers on it and is oblong shape now instead of round. Any ideas on how I can get it to drain? plan on changing lower hose and remove the green fluid and put in fleet charge pink stuff. was thinking to un clamp lower hose and let drain

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 min runtime oughta do.

Stick a wire up through the drain, may be clogged. Or, to make a huge mess, just pop the lower hose off. I'd recommend changing the top hose and rad cap as well

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already did top hose about 100 miles ago. It got a pin hole in it and sprayed all over my engine. Had to buy 3 gal of regular antifreeze to get me home. So going to drain it out flush it out and put the good stuff in. Why change the cap??

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave the cap on, twist the lower hose and kinda ease it off part way, then remove the cap, ya won't get as wet that way. LOL Since your gonna change it anyhow. Be sure and flush the system before changing the coolant, drain the block also, a pipe plug on each side, pass side is behind the starter kinda. Get 4 gallon of concentrate of Fleet Charge and 4 gallon of steam distilled water at a grocery store for charging the system.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 min runtime oughta do.

Stick a wire up through the drain, may be clogged. Or, to make a huge mess, just pop the lower hose off. I'd recommend changing the top hose and rad cap as well
5 minutes is way too long if you want the atf to do any work. By then, it's all ran through and you are just Burning diesel. The point of the atf is to let it set in the injection pump and injectors to work over night. 30 seconds to a minute should be sufficient, but listen to the engine. You can usually hear the sound change slightly, it will get a bit quieter. Once that happens, you can shut it down and leave it sit overnight.

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usu. pull the lower hose anyway, after draining via the drain, just to get a little more drained out. I forget how my '85 is, but with our '95 PSDs, the bottom hose kinda drops down, and the drain is up a ways, so the lower hose is actually a lower point in the system.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well anti-freeze is in nice and pink! :Thumbs Up Not going to have time to actually install a exhaust hanger before the MOB Rally so electrical wire will still hold it for now :rotflmao.

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I get a little school here? Why are we putting ATF in the fuel filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search button

Look at

ip change
Inj. Swapout
Dieselkleen
Sea Foam
Cleaning inj.

Also
coolant flush
Flushing rad.
Drain petcocks

Oh and do cruze the stickies, mel and many others have an idi 101
Great primer!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive had zero issues with this mod.
and i can drain radiator without getting soaked!

You must be registered for see images attach

ATF cleans injectors and IP

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck runs a lot smoother and little quieter since the atf..

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had zero issues with this mod.
and i can drain radiator without getting soaked!

You must be registered for see images attach

ATF cleans injectors and IP

My radiator drain looks much like that, except I went a step farther and added a valve and capped nipple.

I can controllably drain out as much or as little as I wish.

I have some clear plastic gallon-size jugs that I use to drain the coolant into.

It makes draining the system a much less dreaded and much less expensive event.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7