Quick help - any tips for separating my trans and transfer case?

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title said. I'm all ready to remove my t19 to replace it, but can't seem to detach the transfer case to lower it down. Any tips? Or remove it as a whole unit and then separate? I've tried wailing on it with a dead blow. I've tried hitting it with a chisel to separate, but no luck.

Any ideas? ‍♂️

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Ratchet strap it to the rear axle and crank it as tight as you can. Then put a block of wood on the flat upper part of the tcase and hit it with a hammer.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about taking apart the shift lever? Any tricks there?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent! This is why I ask. Thanks!
You got it. When they are stuck it's not easy, takes alot of wrestling and pounding on the wood block. Dont give up, it will eventually go. Also if you get frustrated walk away for a bit, dont be trying to chisel it apart where the surface meets the trans adapter or pounding directly on the tcase with a hammer too hard cause you can damage it. With the wood though, dont hold back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '89 transfer case, there was a little rubber nubbie-thingy on the shift mechanism. Was. Don't lose yours, it is part of what makes the tcase shifter behave properly.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When I was swapping the ZF5 into my current 85 F250, I also couldn't get the transfer case to separate from the transmission (during disassembly). I can usually just wiggle up and down on the transfer case and it will slide back. Not this one. I got my dead blow and smacked on the transfer case really hard (not recommended-see above). When it broke loose, I barely got my face out of the way before the deluge of 80/90 could hit it. It did get my right shoulder. The transfer case appeared to have been glued to the transmission with at least a full tube of RTV. The 80/90 came from the missing rear transmission seal (not bad, just plain not there). I suppose the idiot who screwed up the rest of the truck also did this to stop a leak. The moral of the story is to watch out when you remove the transfer case. You never know what might happen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online