Question for the Warden... or anyone else!

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morning! Just been searching the forums, and I came across this post:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showpost.php?p=88831&postcount=6

I've been having hard starts after letting my truck sit for a bit, and it's getting worse. I noticed on the highway yesterday that my timing is also retarding.

Warden, were these the same symptoms that you had as well? Has anyone else experienced this?

My first thought about the hard starts was air leaks. I have no diesel spilled anywhere, so I figured it's gotta be on the suction side, or return side. My return lines and caps look very new.

But the retarding of the timing has got me worried.... maybe it's what the Warden is describing?

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno if the warden got it wrong or not, but I'm pretty sure that when I put on my electric fuel pump, that it pushed higher pressure than the original lift pump which was nearly dead, and the timing definately advanced. I had to move the pump about 1/8" to get it back to running normally. On my present 6.9, I've got an electric, and the timing gears are perfectly aligned, but I've had to turn the pump as far as I can go retarded, and still I feel that it's maybe a degree or two too advanced, but I haven't had a meter on it, just going by rattle. Runs beauty though, and just a nice plume of gentle black smoke at full throttle.

As usual, just my .02...

Don :)

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tooled with some return connections last night. To a sigh of relief, the beast clattered to life flawlessly this morning. I think I found my air leaks.

Don, by your observations, my fuel pressure might be going down then?

I don't have a tach... but how do these motors react when you get them near redline? Mine falls right on it's face, like it's totally fuel starved. Is that normal operation?

The oil patch is rained out today, so I've got the day off. Head home 1700km in two days, Whitecourt (outside of Edmonton) to Prince Rupert (the coast). I'd like to have some peace of mind before I take off!

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is also like that, It has tons of power at say 45 mph but after about 60 even a small grade hill your foot is right in the floor to keep it at speed, not sure if this is normal or not though.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your hitting the govenor, it's been described as "somebody throws an anchor overboard" :dunno

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These engines have governors? I thought so, the other day I was accelerating and the motor just stopped accelerating, it felt like when a gas motor floats the valves at 6700 rpm. How does the the governor work and what does it monitor to judge rpm? Centrifugal maybe? Like an old steamer?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These engines have governors? I thought so, the other day I was accelerating and the motor just stopped accelerating, it felt like when a gas motor floats the valves at 6700 rpm. How does the the governor work and what does it monitor to judge rpm? Centrifugal maybe? Like an old steamer?

Correct. The govenor weights overcome the spring tension they push against to close the throttle.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I can also add that as my old el-cheapo electric pump went south (which I didn't know it was doing) I lost a bunch of performance, it was not however, noticeable as it was gradual, right up until it failed. When I put the Carter pump on, it was almost like when I took the old 250 6 cylinder with 200,000 miles out of my 79 chevy and put a heavily modified small block in it!!! My truck ran like it had 2 extra cylinders. To this day, hills I used to pull in 2nd gear are pulled in fourth. Honestly, it was like getting a new engine. I have timed mine, and it was right where everyone said it should be. I used both pulse and lumy to compare and it was right on. I didn't time it with the old pump as I didn't have the equipment, but would have been a cool comparison.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.