Question for the gurus re:surging

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok diesel gurus: lately my '89 7.3 n/a has decided it wants to develop a slight "surge" @ engine speeds over 1400 rpm. It happens at normal operating temps and is not very noticeable,but it is slightly annoying...however when I climb a hill or "get on it" ;the surging disappears.. also present is light blue smoke upon gear changes... me thinks :CDR or perhaps air intrusion.... what say ye, oh noble turners of wrenches?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the surge seems like more power, I would look at air intrusion. First, if you have not tried already, get a new fuel filter and fill with ATF when you get home, run it for about 10 minutes & let sit overnight. Next morning, run it like you stole it to see if it clears up the "surge".

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you try the ATF trick listen to the engine after you fill the filter and start the engine--you will notice the engine sounds/runs a bit different when the ATF hits the injectors. When I did this I shut off the engine about 30 seconds after the engine sound changed--seemed to help.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does something similar to that if I let it run low on fuel. Like almost touching E lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron