Tried WMO for the first time

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to use electric gasoline type fuel pumps to pump pure motor oil, but they slowed down badly and all started to overheat (tried 3 different pumps, one was from a diesel) while moving hardly any fluid. After seeing that, I would be a little worried about the lift pump in the truck in the case of running strait motor oil.

Although having said that, some guys here are racking up thousands of miles on the stuff so maybe its not a problem. I'll just run blended for the foreseeable future. Even like that the truck runs wonderful. I hauled ass up the mountain the other day hitting 75 MPH in some cases. I can't be sure, but I think fuel economy us also up. EGTs came as high as 900. Was hoping for an afternoon of snow boarding, but it was raining when I got there:mad:. Oh well, the drive was nice.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been running it for a few years now. Your mix is very light. What I've learned is this.... if your gonna run it, run it hard. 3 gallons of WMO actually just gives you a full tank of dirty fuel. If your gonna contaminate your fuel, contaminate it with diesel, and not oil. LOL. WMO in my world, is a mix of all kinds of junk lubes. When I run it, my power is way down, egt's are up, and it smokes to beat the band. The only plus is I'm truckin down the road thumbin' my nose at the arabs, passing all those diesel pumps. I run about a 80% mix. My processing system consists of pouring the WMO into a 250 gallon oil furnace fuel tank, and pumping it out through a spin on oil filter attached to my "gas station" electric fuel pump, hose and nozzle. In 3 years, I've had to drop the tank once to clean up sludge, and I think that was from my early experiments just going from the donated container right into my tank. Don't be afraid of it. For the money you save, a new IP every few years is well worth it. However, I WOULD definitely running a couple tanks of pure diesel every 10 fill ups or so. THis will help with the injector coaking issue.

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for thread jacking, but I have a couple fuel filter heads I'm not using. Is there a good low micron filter i can throw on there to use in a garage WMO setup?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running it for a few years now. Your mix is very light. What I've learned is this.... if your gonna run it, run it hard. 3 gallons of WMO actually just gives you a full tank of dirty fuel. If your gonna contaminate your fuel, contaminate it with diesel, and not oil. LOL. WMO in my world, is a mix of all kinds of junk lubes. When I run it, my power is way down, egt's are up, and it smokes to beat the band. The only plus is I'm truckin down the road thumbin' my nose at the arabs, passing all those diesel pumps. I run about a 80% mix. My processing system consists of pouring the WMO into a 250 gallon oil furnace fuel tank, and pumping it out through a spin on oil filter attached to my "gas station" electric fuel pump, hose and nozzle. In 3 years, I've had to drop the tank once to clean up sludge, and I think that was from my early experiments just going from the donated container right into my tank. Don't be afraid of it. For the money you save, a new IP every few years is well worth it. However, I WOULD definitely running a couple tanks of pure diesel every 10 fill ups or so. THis will help with the injector coaking issue.

Yes, well unlike SOME people, I don't have access to that much oilLOL. Its strange because I do seem to notice more low end torque running oily fuel than strait diesel. Peak boost pressure and power don't seem to have changed much though. My injector pump has been on borrowed time for at least a year now, so I figure now is a good time to test this idea out.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its strange because I do seem to notice more low end torque running oily fuel than strait diesel. Peak boost pressure and power don't seem to have changed much though.

I run 20% WMO in my '88 and my low end torque is definitely up. My peak boost also increases by 1lb or so. It will make 13+ lbs on WMO, on straight diesel it will only make 11-12 lbs. I also think it builds boost a little faster on WMO.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 20% WMO in my '88 and my low end torque is definitely up. My peak boost also increases by 1lb or so. It will make 13+ lbs on WMO, on straight diesel it will only make 11-12 lbs. I also think it builds boost a little faster on WMO.

OK, so its not just me noticing that. I would guess I am running about 20% on the front tank. Will be interesting to see what the MPGs work out to.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
OK, so its not just me noticing that. I would guess I am running about 20% on the front tank. Will be interesting to see what the MPGs work out to.

nope, i think it advances the timing a little and ups the injection pressure some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle