Question about the breathing of turbos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the banks with the BBB on top. I am thinking of putting an air filter on a length of pipe and was wondering if there would be any advantage to putting a silicone adapter at the turbo that would go up to a larger size pipe. Like 3" to 4". It would seem to me to let the turbo breath easier than having a pipe the same size as the turbo inlet, It wouldn't be a long piece, but it would add volume and reduce friction loss.

Jeff

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly, depending on what's there now, but I doubt it would be enough to justify the time and expense. Most likely, Banks gave it more than enough airflow so any improvement would be minimal if at all apparent. Not trying to take away from your urge to tinker and experiment, but if you looking for a big payoff at the end, I doubt you'd see it.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Jeff, I didn't notice any gains from ditching the box, but from a serviceability aspect, a huge benefit if you can acquire a different intake hat as the box incorporates that all in one.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I did to mine.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...t-rid-of-my-old-style-Banks-airbox&highlight=

Going from 3" to 4" won't give you any noticeable gains - 3" is plenty big enough for the engine to breath. If it were really long or had a lot of crazy bends then 4" would be slightly better but not in a 8" run across your engine. I had to go from 3" to 4" just to connect to the filter I am running. I would really like an enclosed type filter like the Banks Sidewinder has, like you see on lots of tractors. If I were doing it over I'd be looking hard for something like that, so I could run a cowl or at least cold air induction with a water drain, and mount the filter in a slightly different spot. My filter is about 1/4" away from the injection line and actually rubs the hood a little, and I have a 3" body lift.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
This is what I did to mine.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...t-rid-of-my-old-style-Banks-airbox&highlight=

Going from 3" to 4" won't give you any noticeable gains - 3" is plenty big enough for the engine to breath. If it were really long or had a lot of crazy bends then 4" would be slightly better but not in a 8" run across your engine. I had to go from 3" to 4" just to connect to the filter I am running. I would really like an enclosed type filter like the Banks Sidewinder has, like you see on lots of tractors. If I were doing it over I'd be looking hard for something like that, so I could run a cowl or at least cold air induction with a water drain, and mount the filter in a slightly different spot. My filter is about 1/4" away from the injection line and actually rubs the hood a little, and I have a 3" body lift.

something along the lines of this.......
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1118569-air-filter-question.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online