question about Megacab beds

Desert Dually

cane corso
Reaction score
I have a Megacab and am in need of adding an additional fuel tank to extend my range for long trips. I was thinking seriously about adding an in-bed tank/toolbox combo to the truck, but not sure if I want to go with a transfer tank, or an auxiliary tank? What are the pro's and con's of each?
Also, being that this truck has a very small bed, most in-bed tanks wouldnt really drop in because of how close the interior of the truckbed's inner fenders are to the cab. Does anybody here have a set-up like this in a megacab bed? Is the megacab bed unique to the megacabs, or is it used with the quad cab as well? :dunno

I checked online and also on ebay and see a lot of tanks for Dodge diesels but none that say specifically that they fit the megacab. Any advice and/or links would be majorly appreciated! Thanks in advance :cool

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
You might look and see what you options are for a replacement tank that fits in the place of your factory unit, thereby extending your range and maintaining the precious little bed space that you have. I think that it's a blunder that dodge doesn't offer the mega cab with a long bed, and I'm a Ford guy all the way...

On Edit: Linky

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
From my understanding the mega cab beds are just short beds - the reason D/C did this was to reduce the tooling needed to get the trucks out there. I used to have a set up in the Enterprise with a transfer tank that I plumbed up with a 6 port switching valve from napa that ran from a toggle switch on the dash and when I selected the aux tank it would supply and RETURN the fuel to the aux tank - basically so that it acted like a stock fuel tank. Some things to remember or keep in mind if going this route.

1st you need to pull the fuel up and over the top of the tank. Reason being is the fuel will push it's way out if you don't - I started out by just using a drain port on the tank, straight down through the bed floor and to the valve. Well this caused me problems because it would fill the stock tank to the brim even if the aux tank wasn't selected - the weight of the fuel would push open the 6 port valve. To counter act this what I did was what any hillbilly would do is I just ran the fuel line to the top of the tank then back down on the outside of the tank - no it wasn't pretty but it worked great because then I was effectively counter acting the weight of the fuel.

2. with using the tank as an extra tank that is selected you don't have to worry about gravity feeding your stock tank or getting out and pumping the fuel across to your stock tank - you can pull fuel from it running down the road and if your like me and forget things (CRS) then you won't over fill the stock tank letting fuel run out the fill pipe onto the road (very costly now days).

I used a square tank that actually fit between the bed fenders - yes I had space between the tank and the bed sides but I made some brackets that just kept the tank from sliding sideways. My tank was just sitting on on a rubber mat it was not strapped down or bolted down - trust me the weight of the fuel keeps it right where you sit it. I had a 120 gallon tank so the weight was pretty high.

I have actually been kicking around the idea a few months ago about adding an extra tank like that in my current truck (Nanny Goat).

bgfire

Reaction score
Hey Travis,

Used to see you on here and the other boards talking about your Ford. You all Dodge now, or still running a Ford as well?

Made the jump Sunday from the 1993 F250 7.3L to the 2006 Megacab 5.9L...very nice! Catch you areound on here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86