Question about Bullnose windshield cowling: plastic plug placement

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new to me bullnose is in pretty spectacular condition with a couple exceptions. It was parked under some giant pine trees, and it had a lot of pine needles accumulated in the books and crannies. I managed to get most of them out from behind the windshield trim, but I realized that I needed to remove the cowling to properly clean what turned out to be about 2 gallons of needles.

Once cleaned out, I did a quick dish soap and water white bristle brusk to the entire area. One thing that has me baffled are the two plastic plugs that only appear on the passenger side of the cowling. I am assuming this is to keep unwanted debris out of the outermost firewall area as I believe this is where the cab draws vent air. What I don’t understand is if there was supposed to be one in both sides. See pics for better explanation, but it doesn’t appear that there was any cover over the drivers side holes for many moons (if ever?).

Lastly, I know some newer cars and trucks have screens over this whole under cowl area to keep pines needles and leaves out. Anybody ever made and installed one on a bullnose truck?

It’s interesting having this truck parked next to my 1995. You can really tell why they left the long open slots for what I would call the small perforated hole design.

Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• 1A153833-283F-4BEB-AC89-2B6B536F78FA.jpeg
    1A153833-283F-4BEB-AC89-2B6B536F78FA.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 9
  • B2799604-1951-4B2E-8CF8-B7EB417FFFF0.jpeg
    B2799604-1951-4B2E-8CF8-B7EB417FFFF0.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 10

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure on the plugs…. I didn’t pay attention when we did the wiper motor on our 86.

Yes, several members have used metal door screen “cloth” and lined the underside of the vent area to keep the schmoo out….. don’t really see it from above. Or, I have seen them switch out for the brick/OBS cowl that has the little holes instead of the slots…… but….

that is something I notice… Bulls are my favorite body style, and they have some subtle design differences than the brick/OBS and this is one of them…… and is someone puts the “wrong” bed on it…. The brick/OBS body lines on the bed, installed on a bull really stick out to me…..

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I’m clearly an OBS guy, primarily because I’ve owned two of them back to back after a gasser brick and a dentside Bronco, and I just really like the layout of the OBS. That being said, this bullnose is growing on me every time I get time to work on it a little more.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that all apart Sept/Oct of 20. Had Windshield out to clean out the area it lives in to get the Sealant and Rust removed etc... then a new glass installed and sealed.

I had the Cowel off also to clean out everything in the Air Box area (what I call it) to clean out all the old Seam Sealer etc... and re seal it.

I took pictures of everything as I went along.... but on my old phone, soon as it is recharged I`ll see what rubber covers/plugs there is.

This is on my 86 f250 which had the Cowel with the large slots. I got one off an 87 with the small holes, had it sand blasted and then painted it.
Yeah a lot of crap can get down in there. Mine wasn`t too bad.
Where the water drains out behind the front Wheels, behind the fender Liner are a Rubber Duck Bill drain.
Crap can build up behind it.
Once you pull the liner forward you can see them, good luck removing them, they have 4 push pins that hold them in. I tore the rubber a bit getting them out. Just let them open, now I suppose Mice have a good access to get in.:frustrate

If you decide to replace the Cowel Plate to the later style, they are not the same from 87 thru 96 or what ever.
87 - 91 then a body line change 92 - 96.

I agree, Bull Nose`s are the best looking one`s out there... OK Iam biased. If i picked up a 94 - 97 it would probably have a BN Front end. :sly

Goat

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I did the window screen trick to my Blue Truck 2 years ago and I have to say that it's NICE to not have leaves blow out the vents at me. I used the aluminum screen. My thinking was that it won't rust and it will (should) last longer than the cloth stuff.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    474.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    497.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 12

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have that much debris in the cowl the drains in front of the doors are probably full. You can access by removing the kick panels with the sliding vents. Removing debris from above will not damage the duck bill drains. I park under a pine tree and am constantly picking needles out before they enter the cowl. I have a brick vent I plan to use one of these days.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at the pictures on my old Phone, and I didn`t take any pictures of when I first removed the Cowel Plate.
I know there were a few plugs and covers I removed.

I have the Kick Panels off my 86 and my 85 right now, I`ll take a look to see what access covers you are taking about Tom.

I just Dynamat`ed both trucks, so the interiors are out of both trucks right now.... along with new Window Channel and door gaskets. :sly

Goat

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the window screen trick to my Blue Truck 2 years ago and I have to say that it's NICE to not have leaves blow out the vents at me. I used the aluminum screen. My thinking was that it won't rust and it will (should) last longer than the cloth stuff.
So in this pic: it doesn't look like there's any plastic plugs on the driver's side.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I didn't look when I posted the pictures, but it looks like you're right. I plan to do this to the Red Truck someday. I may even do it to the Ex Wife just because.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I repaired my wiper arms on my 97 a couple months ago, I noticed the same thing. Plugs on passenger side but none on driver side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online