pyrometer install on 1987 6.9 idi with headers

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
I was wanting to bump the performance on my truck a little, and blow a little more smoke on the tailgaters and I want to turn up my Injector Pump. But I Like my pistons the way they are so I want to do the right thing and install a pyrometer. I was wondering where I should place the probe. I have a 1987 6.9 f250 with headers. I am guessing go right before the collectors. Any help would be appreciated!:D

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put mine in the bend of the drivers side manifold super easy but some other people have put one inbetween the front two cylinders on the drivers side saying that's the hot spot of that bank... The choice is yours good luck

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With headers, probably right at one of the collectors is your best bet.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if theyre shortys, sure collector.
long tube, right by the port on cyl 8

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The collector is going to be too far away.....

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
I was going to get as close to cyl #8 as possible but I was under the truck today changing oil and the headers are quite rusted im afraid they dont have much life left and if I drill and tap it may damage the headers. I will take a wire brush and see if its just surface rust, maybe they arent as rotted up top as below.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Header tubes are probably not thick enough to drill and tap and have it seal. Typically you weld a bung on.

If you are going to try it, I recommend taking a hammer or something with a flat face and making a small "ding" or flat spot in the pipe where you are going to drill. This does two things. 1 it makes it easier to center punch and drill it. 2. It puts all the threads that you are going to cut at the same starting height so that there may be a prayer of it sealing. With pipe threads, you need a few threads to get it to seal well. You might get by with 2-3 and you might get that with 1/8" npt depending on how thick the tubes are. If you tighten down and the threads strip or it leaks, you can always weld a bung over the hole I guess but I'd recommend doing that to start with honestly.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^X2

Even on manifolds, which are likely +/- 1/4" thick, it feels like there isn't much extra "meat" to tap. I'd agree with laser; weld a bung if at all possible.

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
I was thinking that myself because the headers I just bought for my smallblock had bungs welded on for o2 sensors. I think the headers have seen better days on my diesel...pretty rusted up. Thanks laser that is great advice. But I think I'll just leave well enough alone cause if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd probably have to remove the header to weld a bung on properly, and that looks like an all day project. No sense trying the easy way then ruining the header.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you can find a place that is fairly straight for a couple of inches,
saddle it with a black pipe section. hold it on with clamps and/or
a few wraps of that muffler repair stuff. should last as long as your pipes :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726