put new head gasket in..lost alot of power

big92cummins

Reaction score
hello i have a 1993 dodge ram 250 with the cummins turbo diesel and i just got it from my uncle as a project truck and my dad and both uncles told me he lost a good amount of power after he swamped the truck and blew the head gasket..so he replaced the head gasket..but the truck has not nearly as close to much torque or power it had before....can someone please give me advice on how to get the power back or what may need to be done..i cranked the injector pump up and got some power but still dosent got the power it should..thanks Gregg

big92cummins

Reaction score
yes he went to go pull a buddy out at the river and ended up sucking water into the intake.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Check the throttle linkage.
Very common on a first gen.
Do you know how?
Someone inside, you outside.

big92cummins

Reaction score
yes i checked that the clip was loose so i tightend it and the piece where the linkage hooks onto is easy to pop off but still stays on and also going up hills or jsut towing it is gutless and the throttle is working full to the floor

rubberfish

Reaction score
Is this thing an auto? If so, how's the shifting?
Is it the TPS that's not setup right? You say the
throttle works to the floor, but does it travel
all the way under the hood as well? Dad's
had that trouble some years back when
he still had his old first gen.

big92cummins

Reaction score
yes it is an auto.....for the shifting it is slower to shift. i will have to see the linkage for the over drive drop down because it wont drop down when floored... it had trouble getting into the garage over a 2.5 inch lip thats when i get worried, i know i shouldent have it in D when driving into the garage but i wanted to see if it would kick down and move the truck....so i droped it into 2 and it went up still but with more fuel then i needed..the engine revs up good and strong and when im pressing the linkage under the hood full throttle .....would you be able to tell me more about the TPS? i have herd of those having to be dismantled and greased.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I immagine ALL the fluids were changed after that? better check em man. Checked your turbo? cold water, hot turbo...... :eek:
if it was submirged enough to get a gulp of water, id be on that thing like stink on ____!

big92cummins

Reaction score
yup i changed it all except tranny fluids..i took a look at that and there is foam in it and it is dirty...the turbo is fine i checked that before i said yes to taking the truck...but the truck still revs up alot to get over the bump i know a guy with the same truck and he had a spring that i dident so i got a spring for mine and it was a bit more better but not to much....i went and made an account with that forum jsut have to wait for the approval.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
hmmmm...... well im about stumped then. When the head gasket was done, did the IP get loosened at all? Like effectivly changing the timing? U might consider getting on that tranny. Have it professionaly flushed as a precaution.
What spring r you refering to by the way? the Gov spring?

Kewl, i'll be see'n ya there.

hustler900

Reaction score
If there was enough water in the combustion chamber to blow the head gasket then there was probably enough to bend connecting rods too.

moparmike91

Moparmike91
Reaction score
ya i have to agree if you sucked in water and u blew headgasket,,ive seen it before its called hydro lock and i can reassure ya when u pull the oil pan look up each cylinder,,cause very likely u have bent rod in seen a few cummins engines that have done the same and have broken the crankshaft as well..at our dealereship we've seen it all,,lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7