Pushrod out of alignment?

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine has been hard starting/hydro locking from what others here have told me here since I used starting fluid to try to start a 94 IDI. So I'm digging in to change the heads and other gaskets.

After the starting fluid incident it made a loud popping sound while running and I was told it could be a push rod and so I found it obviously enough. Could that be what is causing the hard starting? I'm pretty sure coolant also is getting in because I've noticed it lower a few times but just a little but still obvious.

The two oval bowl shaped pieces that sit about the springs and the push rods are loose unlike all the others. How do I go about getting that back to normal?

You must be registered for see images attach

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the bowls out and one of the bolts are actually broke. Any suggestions to get it out?

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those ****** as you call them are the rocker arms, a left handed bit normally will spin the bolt out. When you used ether did you disable the glow plug system. NEVER NEVER use ether with an active glow plug system. It can and will cause damage, could be what broke the bolts and push rods. What makes you think it was hydro locking? Normal when it hydro locks you need to remove a glow plug to blow out what ever is in the cyl.

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I knew what they were called but I was having a loss of words and I already removed them. I was just being hesitant and jumped the gun posting this in full.

I've learned the hard way about starting fluid. I know that is what has caused all this and the head gasket needing replacement. I just was new to diesels at the time

The only thing I really need help with is that broke bolt if anyone has suggestions.

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I didnt and that's why I know that's what caused it. There was a horrible loud knock and when i got going nothing was right

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is install information, also to remove the bolt try and find a left handed drill bit to remove the broken part.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know that is what has caused all this and the head gasket needing replacement.
If you're going to remove the head and replace the head gasket, then I say just go ahead and pull the head off. You'll need to remove all of the rockers and pushrods in order to do this. It will also be easier to remove the broken part of the bolt with the head off.

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've really not had as many issues as it might seem. I've just had a lot of questions. It was really just the bad injection pump and then my ******* using the starting fluid that damaged the pushrod and heads. Other than that this truck has been great. It's only got 222k miles

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get the heads out now but I dont know what else to do. I got all the long head bolts out and the three that are in are loosened all the way. Just gotta get the heater box out the way. Anything you see I might not have done. I cant get this **** to budge

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the exhaust manifolds off, and the rest of the head bolts on the outside of the head.

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got all the head bolts out but I didnt know the exhaust manifold had to come out. Thank you.

Once every bolt is out does the heads lift out freely? I know they are almost 100 lbs from what I was told but besides the weight would I be able to just pull them by hand?