pumps

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for good collection pump that I can plug into the 12v in back of my truck and suck out of a 55gal drum into a tank in the truck??? I see some at harbor frieght for $2-$300 with the fancy gas pump handle. I don't need the fancy handle, just an in and out with the pump

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
There's a guy on here that uses a ford 460 oil pump attached to a starter motor. Says it pumps some ungodly amount per minute. I beleive it. One heck of a pump, junk yard parts are cheap. I am thinking of using that setup to push from my holding tank to my vehicle tank.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup yup... seen his concoction a few weeks ago... very nice inexpensive buildup...

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be mine.Works real well.Word of caution though...make sure you have that output hose in your collection drum real well.For the 2nd time it came loose on me and was sprayin WVO all over the place LOL.

Stu

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh also I'm lookin at messing around with a vac-tank.Something like the septictank pumpers use,or like a murphy's supersucker.

I was thinking if you had a 12v motor or small gas engine attached to a AC pump and plumb the inlet into a 50-100 gal tank,then on the other end have the pickup hose.It might draw enough vacuum.I got alot of crazy ideas.

Stu

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I use the vacuum pump from the truck to create vacuum into a water heater tank 110gal and then suck oil with a 1.5" hose to a 55gal drum 75 feet away. It will suck all the oil from the tank in about 10-15 minutes, some times even less.

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stu, how did you connect the starter motor to the oil pump? Can you give us a pic of the setup? Does it self-prime, or do you have to prime it first? Thanks for your help.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the vacuum pump from the truck to create vacuum into a water heater tank 110gal and then suck oil with a 1.5" hose to a 55gal drum 75 feet away. It will suck all the oil from the tank in about 10-15 minutes, some times even less.

Wow nice,good idea never thought about that.

jas heres some pics.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

It's in this thread and yes it's self priming.I cut the "cone" off the starter and used the bendix as a bushing.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22570&page=11

One problem I'm having is I keep smoking the cables.It draws alot of amps.I'm going to make the cables as short as I can.

Stu

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i can imagine, starters are not ment to run any length of time at all. they are not rated for full duty cycle although i doubt pumping fluid is nearly as hard as cranking an engine. still an awsome idea, i have thought about doing something similar with one of my extra chain saws laying around.

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a 250 gallon propane tank that is converted into a vacuum tank. It will empty a 55 gallon of oil in under 1 minutte in the winter. Keith

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a 250 gallon propane tank that is converted into a vacuum tank. It will empty a 55 gallon of oil in under 1 minutte in the winter. Keith

Can you give a lil more info on this? What did you use to create a vacuum on the tank?

I've been thinking about this for awhile now as I can get all the tanks I need.

Stu

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online