Pump turn up!

Jhall

Reaction score
Any precautions for turning up the pump a couple flats on a 7.3 factory turbo??

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have gauges? Is everything stock on the truck or have you done other upgrades?

Jhall

Reaction score
No gauges , all stock. I’m in FL so no hills and I only pull a bass boat once in a while

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Good Idea to install an EGT gauge when messing with more than stock fuel.
Once you do that, though... the turbo can handle more than your pump can put out, period... above about 2200 RPM. This meams you can get a hefty chunk of power(easily 50% more than stock) out by turning up the fuel screw.

You will not want to floor it off idle, just ease into it and then floor it once your revs are above 2K...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right answer is get gauges then turn fuel up... but you can get away with a flat or two without an egt gauge

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
With no turbo my suggestion is install an exhaust gauge called pyrometer. Otherwise you have no idea what the exhaust temp is now. Say your now borderline running too hot.Turn it up 2 flats and you face horrible piston melt down. Its your call if you try to get away with turning it up with no instrumentation telling you any good information.This forum has seen the non turbo engines run hotter exhaust temps than the turbo engines. Remember a turbo is forcing more air into the cylinders and this has a cooling effect.thats why we can turn up the fuel with a turbo. More forced air means more ability to burn more fuel..Equals more hp and torque...

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With no turbo my suggestion is install an exhaust gauge called pyrometer. Otherwise you have no idea what the exhaust temp is now. Say your now borderline running too hot.Turn it up 2 flats and you face horrible piston melt down. Its your call if you try to get away with turning it up with no instrumentation telling you any good information.This forum has seen the non turbo engines run hotter exhaust temps than the turbo engines. Remember a turbo is forcing more air into the cylinders and this has a cooling effect.thats why we can turn up the fuel with a turbo. More forced air means more ability to burn more fuel..Equals more hp and torque...
He *has* a turbo. Factory turbo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online