Pump Replacement Update

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As some have read, I felt I was having a fuel delievery valve issue. I had an idle stumble or slight miss. none of the injecters showed any change when I cracked them open during run time. So talking with several pump people in the know I got the suggestion to change out the pumps and see if the miss was still there instead of opening the pump. Good idea but wonder why I couldn't think of that... Doona know.. Well I got the pump off and the other pump installed Saturday but no test drive till today...:D Big change. Its been a long time since the truck ran that well. I hear the engine running but can't feel it. Its an interesting sound and feel. So now I take apart my pump and replace the fuel delievery valve. BTW they are differant sizes of those valves. Its not a one size fits all. Just glad I found the issue. I also got 5 worn out injecters from a shop I used to deal with years ago. Sadly about 2 years ago I asked same shop for some old injecters but I was a couple of weeks late. They just threw out 2 5 gallons buckets full of them.....:cry::Whatever: I missed a deal there..

gandalf

Reaction score
I'm with Al on this one. We want pics. I have faith in you, Gary. You can take pics and get them into this thread.;Sweet

You have enough IPs laying around there, I'm sure. Which IP did you remove, and which did you put in? :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well Ken as fine as this pump is running the engine I really am wondering which pump I have on there now. I have three pumps. One is painted and used for mockups only. The other pump is a Moose pump from 2009 rally and the other is a Pensacola pump. The last twoo pumps I know for sure but which one is now running is making me wonder. I'll have to look over the pump I took off and see if there are any identifyers on it. Wont say till I know. Can't be dissing the Moose pump products without proper knowledge as to what I have. Its really strange how well the rig it running up thru the rpms effortlessly now. A completely differant engine sound too...

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They way your talkin about the about the old pump sounds just like my prob.has some power when it's on cold idle but when that kicks off its like I'm towing a trailer and doggy. I replaced my pump with a rebuilt and got new BB injectors but it was all from Pensacola diesel about 2 1/2 yrs ago.. wife wants me to put the old pump in but I'm afraid from it sitting in a bag for them years I will have prob.. maybe this will get the wife to let me spend some cash...:)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Spend cash with either Mel or Russ on a pump. Its the best use for the money hands down. They do the best pump repairs anywhere. Buying from any ebay seller advertising the cheapest pump is just that. So what you only paid $300.00 and not $500.00. You are going to spend the $500.00 sooner than you think. Now your out $800.00 for a $500.00 pump. Sorry man but thats horrible money management. We all like to save money but sometimes we have to spend it to save it.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I here that it wasn't soon after I got the stuff I found the forum..We're you having the driving issue like I am.?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I here that it wasn't soon after I got the stuff I found the forum..We're you having the driving issue like I am.?

No not really. It was at idle a ruff feeling like a miss. but just as soon as you came off even the slightest idle setting it smoothed out and ran well. For me to now prove my delievery valve was shot in the other pump I have to replace it and reinstall that pump on my engine. I'm in no hurry do reinstall that pump but I will change the delievery valve .. The way you describe whats happening to your engine sounds like your timing is way off. When the engine is cold it runs on fast idle and cold advance. Then when it comes down off fast idle the cold advance drops back to normal setting. But your engine runs good on cold advance. Without knowing the miles on your pump or injecters I wont tell you they are shot but. I can advise you to have the timing checked at least. Factory setting is 8.5 degree advance but with todays fuels many have been running 9.5 degrees advance and likeing the power and mileage they get. Do you have anyone that can time your engine near you.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had it timed by diesel forward here in wisconsin about a year ago. Sent know what way they timed it. But it never changed from b4 or after it got done. New injectors and pump put in 3yrs ago.b4 I changed this stuff out it was getting about 21mpg on why and could do a brake stand with it. But I plan on buying new injectors and pump come spring.. thanks 4 the info.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You might look into driving over to Landcaster Pa to Conestoga diesel. Mell there can and will time or sell you Bb codes and a rebuilt pump that no other shop or busines can match. Mel is a long time member of this forum and has purchased the shop as a lifetime dream come true. Both Mel and his wife work and run the shop with other family and shop employees. If you want it done right for the right price talk to Mel. Honesty is hiw monicure. For the last 11 or 12 years at every idi rally he has timed every truck for free. At the 2009 rally I saw him on vacation work from sunup to sundown timing rigs. Giving help where needed. Look in any Websters dicionary. Under honesty there is a pic of Mel... No man crush here.. Just respect for someone doing the right thing for any that ask.... If the worlds people followed his way of life there would bbe no wars nor prisons. Just nice people helping others.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know when I replaced my IP, even though the injectors were boogered up, I could not BELIEVE how much faster it started up. In fact if it was around 60-70 degrees or higher, I could start it cold without the glow plugs and it would only crank over a couple revolutions before firing right up. I thought man, I shoulda done this sooner...and the truck only had about 105K on it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm as much at fault as any of us when it comes to not feeling to slow drop in hp because of pump or injecter issues. But change them and the beast wakes up. Time them and you still find hidden hp and mileage. Now buy crap for injecters or a bad injection pump and see no change.. Thats happened here many times too. Hammerdown got 4 pumps from Pensacola before he got a good one. I can admit. I was suspect after the second bad pump from someone I trusted to deal with. I have a pump from them and no issues with it but. I have "learned" since then and simpley can't recommend them for any products new or used. Factually I know it takes more time and money to really rebuild an injecter and sell it for a profit at $109.00 ebay specials... Just the parts alone cost more than that. I feel they are cleaned and tested but to what extent I don't know. Even if you had a worker doing it for free they still can't make a buck taking them apart. Assembling them. Pop tested them. Shimming them and testing again before selling them. It was dark when I was born but it wasn't last nite...:eek::angel: Ask around this forum where you get the best deal for your money..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online