Pulling the hubs on a Ford 10.25" rear end

jslash

Reaction score
Wow! I just remembered that Autozone has repair guides online! They are very cool for this job. If anyone is interested in pulling the hubs on a Ford 10.25 inch integral carrier, full-floating rear drive axle check this out!

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/0a/e8/f0/0900823d800ae8f0.jsp

I learned that I now need yet another tool! A puller to pull the hub! I think I can get one of those from work. This is getting interesting ;)

Jim

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh? Puller? All you need is the socket for the racheting retainer. If the hub won't come off easily, there's something wrong with the internals. I usually pull it with the wheel attached(comes from working on heavy trucks...) and I have never had one that needed a puller... and I've had the rear of my diesel apart 3 times this week... LOL

jslash

Reaction score
Well, it's very clear in the instructions to use the puller and it shows a diagram of it also... And mine will not come off. So I'm thinking they are right. Maybe yours is a different model?

Jim

bgfire

Reaction score
I pulled mine last summer, and didn't have to have a puller to get the hubs off.

A friend that is a mechanic told me he had often had luck getting the hub off by turning the axle around, threading part of the bolts back into the hub (leaving about 1/2" of play) and gently pulling the axle back against the bolts. This gentle bumping popped both of mine loose after about three or four easy bumps. It saved me a trip into town to get a puller. I put never-sieze on the metal to metal mating surfaces to hopefully cut down on corrosion.

I have helped do this in the field on larger trucks, but hadn't thought about doing it on mine.

Something to remember if you ever have to pull one and don't have a puller handy. It works sometimes.

jslash

Reaction score
Very cleaver slide hammer! I'll try that!

Thanks for the tip... This site is great!

I'm hoping to make it to the IDI gathering and meet some of you great folks!

Jim

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
jslash said:
Very cleaver slide hammer! I'll try that!

Thanks for the tip... This site is great!

I'm hoping to make it to the IDI gathering and meet some of you great folks!

Jim

Yes, good idea. Mine came off with little, but some persuasion. I just :backoff tapped :angel: on mine and off they came.

jslash

Reaction score
Well, I have VERY limited time this weekend to work on this project :( But I had about an hour before it got dark tonight... Just came in from trying the inverted axle shaft as slide hammer trick. Worked like a charm. As I was removing the passanger side drum/hub together 'cause they were froze, they came apart! Also found out why the drivers side was soaked. The grease seal had failed. Part came off with the hub the other is stuck on the spindle. I'll have to work on that tomorrow when I have about a two hour window to work again. Then it's next week sometime... I'll take some pics as I go...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! This site (and TDS) is great!!!

Jim

jslash

Reaction score
Update

Hi guys... quick update... started with this and this . Got everything apart and cleaned up the backing plate . The emergency brake system is just one rusted blob so I have that soaking overnight. Skies were looking like rain so I closed up for the night. I'll see if I can get that emergency brake system apart tomorrow after work.

Jim