Where are the fill and drain holes on the 10.25 rear end?

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a leaking seal on the Powersmoke and it needs to be replaced. I've got all the parts plus new brake shoes ready to go and 3 bottles of Royal Purple synthetic axle oil.

Question is, where is the fill and drain ports on this rear end? I thought I had a Dana 70 but I'm looking at this rear and now I'm pretty certain it's the 10.25 with limited slip.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the drain hole is about the size of the pumpkin. LOL You probably have to pull the back cover off to drain it. The fill hole should be on the front right I think.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Mel is right! ( Guys--doncha like to hear someone say that?)

There is no drain

The fill is a relatively small plug that sits right on top of one of the ribs, so its easy to miss. I think it has a 3/8" square hole so that you can remove it with a 3/8 drive ratchet

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if push comes to shove, I'll fill a ziplock baggie with oil and stuff that into the pumpkin.

I've done that trick before when I used to be into off-roading and lose oil from a diff. The gears just chew up the plastic baggie and you keep on rolling.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drain = pull cover off..
fill= drainplug kit from NAPA $3.50...MUCH easier than trying to get the old fill plug off the front...;Sweet

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll head on down to NAPA today after work and pick up one of those.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Wanderer, you wouldn't happen to have the P/N of the NAPA unit you are speaking of?

I went to NAPA here in Kent, and they couldn't find it.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Wanderer, you wouldn't happen to have the P/N of the NAPA unit you are speaking of?

I went to NAPA here in Kent, and they couldn't find it.

ur...lemme look...I just got one 2 weeks ago..a buddy is the counter guy..and he knows his stuff...so maybe ya got a newbie at the desk...:dunno

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably true, got another question though.

Is the 10.25 a full floater axle and if so, do I need to completely remove the axle s to replace the oil seals in the rear end?

I've got another pair of experienced hands to help out, just never pulled apart a rear like this one.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mel, thanks for the diagram. But.....

I dont have the tools to do what that diagram sez. Is it really necessary to upgrade the rear like this?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It fixes the oil leak for sure. As for the tools, I doubt you need them. I don't recall using any out of the ordinary.