Pulled a 1987 out of a hole

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured out why my throttle stopped working.
You must be registered for see images attach

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned the inside of my truck and found some interesting stuff, it was very nasty behind the seat and I just hadn’t gotten to it yet.
I also got the radio working and in that process I discovered that it had been wired with solid wire and my cab grounds had 12 ohmes of resistance to the battery’s! I isolated the problem to the firewall to engine ground and added a 8 gauge ground direct firewall to battery. Now I have 0.5 ohmes from all my in cab grounds to battery.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's some pretty cool stuff to find. Now you can hide your own stuff back there for the next owner to find. Make up a fake treasure map and have the "x" in some obscure place. And solid wire, that's funny, but HEY, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Who knows what the story is.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over all, I'd say that's not too bad considering you pulled it out of a hole.
To be honest that’s been the theme of the truck “not too bad considering it was dropped from an excavator and a front loader with a 16 foot bucket before sitting up to the axles in mud for 10 years”

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That can of STP might go for some cash to a collector.
On another note, you can't have enough grounds.

Do you have any photos of your truck before you pulled it out of the hole??

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn’t do a good enough job taking photos before we yanked it out although there are some at the beginning of the thread and in the first you tube video. It was stuck in frozen mud up to the axles and we yanked it out in the snow. We needed a big loader or something with chains but we only had a 6.0 so we filled the bed with tractor tires and after a solid hour or better of absolutely given er we made it out.
That can of STP might go for some cash to a collector.
On another note, you can't have enough grounds.

Do you have any photos of your truck before you pulled it out of the hole??

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now my radio works but it only works when the headlights are off, as soon as I turn them on it shuts off but it does dim accordingly with the headlights but doesn’t make sound.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope no draw, I used the factory signal wire and factory battery wire I think it’s either the dash light control wire or something ground related.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now my radio works but it only works when the headlights are off, as soon as I turn them on it shuts off but it does dim accordingly with the headlights but doesn’t make sound.
My tow truck does the same thing! It's got some serious electrical grimlin stuff I have to address.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it's that factory radio, they seemed to have a limited life span. The same goes for the clocks in the Bull Nose trucks.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Weird, I have a handful of factory brick radios and they all work just fine... My old bull though, it's tape deck worked, but not the tuner.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, this is for the bull nose crowd,

Jesus Freaks tech article:
How to set the factory clock on a bull nose

Disconnect the batteries at 11:58 pm or am, it doesn't matter day or night just have them disconnected at 11:58. Reconnect the batteries. Voila! The clock is set and you don't have bruises on the end of your right index finger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online