Pulled a 1987 out of a hole

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one did leak a little and I think I got it fixed but it’s too soon to call. You have to loosen all the injectors to put the rails on and tighten them again which is almost impossible with the rails on. In the process this cylinder started to compression leak a little past the copper which is VERY SCARY and not my favorite when your rocking wildcard injectors you pulled out of a hole. The way I new it was leaking that way was because it was blowing little air bubbles in the diesel at the base of the injector and I tightened it a little more and it seems to be fixed but I havnt test driven it yet.
You must be registered for see images attach

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That’s what it looks like know, I’m just hoping it doesn’t leak or cause a major problem with that one that leaked a little.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one did leak a little and I think I got it fixed but it’s too soon to call. You have to loosen all the injectors to put the rails on and tighten them again which is almost impossible with the rails on. In the process this cylinder started to compression leak a little past the copper which is VERY SCARY and not my favorite when your rocking wildcard injectors you pulled out of a hole. The way I new it was leaking that way was because it was blowing little air bubbles in the diesel at the base of the injector and I tightened it a little more and it seems to be fixed but I havnt test driven it yet.
.....feelin lucky......

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is this the crankcase vent? And is it supposed to blow a mist into the intake manifold when the truck is running?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is this the crankcase vent? And is it supposed to blow a mist into the intake manifold when the truck is running?
That's it. And all the ones ive had did that. I think it's called the CDR......CRD.....ABC..... something.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Also note there's a little pinhole on the back side (facing the firewall) that gets plugged it will prevent the diaphragm from working and then it won't work right.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it's the CDR, it separates crankcase oil mist back into the crankcase from having excess into the intake. If it's bad, you will put too much oil into the intake which usually makes cylinders 7 & 8 burn hotter, lift the head, could cause increase head gasket failures and "mystery" oil leaking from the head.

A simple rule of thumb is if the air cleaner bolt has oil on it replace the CDR.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I spray soapy water at one of my glowplugs it blows bubbles like it’s the end of time. Is that a compression leak? Is it a problem?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin has a video showing how to install the rails,
but his engine is on a stand, much easier to install compared standing on your head under the hood.

Goat

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin has a video showing how to install the rails,
but his engine is on a stand, much easier to install compared standing on your head under the hood.

Goat
They are in and everything seems good so far! Yes I did it all standing on my head and I actually talked to Justin on the phone most helpful guy ever and I had to replumb almost everything as I had the 3/16ths system and I ended up removing a whole bunch of extra junk very happy with it.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it's the CDR, it separates crankcase oil mist back into the crankcase from having excess into the intake. If it's bad, you will put too much oil into the intake which usually makes cylinders 7 & 8 burn hotter, lift the head, could cause increase head gasket failures and "mystery" oil leaking from the head.

A simple rule of thumb is if the air cleaner bolt has oil on it replace the CDR.

First I have read about oil on the Air Cleaner bolt, to replace the CDR.
The CDR is simalar to a PCV Valve. The CDR is a pretty simple device, just a tuna can, a Spring and thin rubber diaphram in side.
They will always be oily inside, and you will always have oily residue inside the Manifold.

Cleaning them with a solvent too harsh can destroy the rubber diaphram.
I don`t believe they get gunked up or plugged up with crud as I have read on various threads.
Probably 10K threads on the CDR on various Forums, the good, bad and ugly along with old wives tales on them.

My first encounter with a CDR was when I bought a 83 Nissan PU with the Nissan SD25 Diesel engine, and it had this thing on the rear of the VC. What`s this piece of @$%t. took it off cleaned it with Carb Cleaner or Brake Cleaner, and the rubber turned kind of gooy mess. Pulled the rubber bits out with some needle nose and called it good.

My 82 Datsun Diesel KC with the SD22 only had a RDT. (82/83 is when the name change from Datsun to Nissan) When the engine was up to past 300K into 400K miles it was noticeable of the smoke coming out under the truck when stopped at a red light.

I wasn`t till I bought the 86 and signed up on FTE that I read about the CDR and what it was.

Here is a thread on Diesel Stop, think post #3 where the guy explains about the CDR.
The thread is about running the Blow By into the exhaust.

All engines have blow by to some degree, just the nature of the beasts.

Goat

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This bad boy is one of my favorite aftermarket organizing parts but I need a (preferably under hood) source for key on power for the relay that feeds it. Before I go scrounging anyone have any ideas? Usually I use choke heater circuits but I’m not in my carborated happy space anymore.