PSD Turbo

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay i know that dyoung14 was working on putting a psd turbo on his idi. My dad and i were talking about putting his old turbo on my truck and we were wondering about using the same manifolds as the psd. im not sure but i think that it doesnt match up. anyones opiinion on the whole thing would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys and roll the coal!!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
My birthday is in 5 days :D so expect to see some updated PSD turbo info:sly, the girlfriend has approved that next pay check we can afford to play with a little in my truck so yall will see whats up my sleeve,

And psd manifolds wont work

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary(icanfixall) has actually matched up PSD exhaust manifolds to an IDI and they don't fit, close but not quite he says. Anything with a PSD turbo is going to be custom fabrication, but people here have done it and had good luck with them.

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys. dyoung14 think you could potentially give a parts and price list so we know what we are looking at? we can acces a pipe bender and my dad and I can weld pretty damn good so i think thatll take a bit of the cost out of the add on. thanks again everyone

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another question. i think what i was trying to say about the manifolds is the exhaust work going ukp to the turbo. ill go out to the barn and take a look tomorrow but does anyone know if i can just use that plumbing for the exhaust?? again thanks ya'll

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really sure what you mean....I haven't messed with a PSD turbo myself, but on the ATS I have and from what I have seen most IDI kits are like this, there is a cast iron casting collector that bolts to the turbo and you route a crossover pipe from the manifolds to this casting collector or "up pipe" which is the hot side of the turbo and spins the turbine. If the PSD turbo is like that then yes the exhaust side plumbing should work, and with you and your dad being creative and skilled welders/fabricators and having access to pipe and a good bender, you can probably figure something out to make the hot side work. Probably there are almost as many right ways as wrong ways to do this.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys. dyoung14 think you could potentially give a parts and price list so we know what we are looking at? we can acces a pipe bender and my dad and I can weld pretty damn good so i think thatll take a bit of the cost out of the add on. thanks again everyone
I Will help all i can

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really sure what you mean....I haven't messed with a PSD turbo myself, but on the ATS I have and from what I have seen most IDI kits are like this, there is a cast iron casting collector that bolts to the turbo and you route a crossover pipe from the manifolds to this casting collector or "up pipe" which is the hot side of the turbo and spins the turbine. If the PSD turbo is like that then yes the exhaust side plumbing should work, and with you and your dad being creative and skilled welders/fabricators and having access to pipe and a good bender, you can probably figure something out to make the hot side work. Probably there are almost as many right ways as wrong ways to do this.

okay. we have the dwhole other psd motor sitting in the barn. if we just transfered the up pipe etc to the idi i know that the turbo would have to be turned and moved alittle bit but would that be a good start in seeing where we are at? I think thats what we'll do is just rip it off the old motor and compare all the points of contact and go from there.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing something like what you are doing. The only difference is I was going to see how hard it would be to mount the turbo like it is on the chevy 6.5 td.

On those motors it is located above and beside the passenger valve cover. I was going to try to flip that manifold and run the other one up around the bottom of the motor to tie together. The oil would feed from the sending unit and would return through the valve cover or through the fuel pump after an electric one was installed.

A custom adapter would have to be made up to make up for the oil feed and return that are both on the bottom of the ps turbo mount.

I havent really had time to take any measurements, but with a 2 in body lift, there should be enough room to do what I want.

aaklingler

Reaction score
okay. we have the dwhole other psd motor sitting in the barn. if we just transfered the up pipe etc to the idi i know that the turbo would have to be turned and moved alittle bit but would that be a good start in seeing where we are at? I think thats what we'll do is just rip it off the old motor and compare all the points of contact and go from there.

No, your up pipes won't bolt to the idi manifold, you might be able make them work with a little fabbing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online