PSD Turbo on N/A 7.3 IDI, How much trouble/potential disaster?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Since I'm tearing this thing down to it's guts anyway, I'm planning on buying a PSD turbo on ebay.How much terror am I getting into? What are my options for exhaust manifolds? I'm going to need some extra power, but is this going to be more hassle than it's worth? I'm not going into the innards of the engine, it runs too good. Should I just look at other kinds of power adders, like water/methanol, or propane?
I need more power, but I don't want to hurt the reliability.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
If you have the ability to fabricate, the psd turbo will work for you. You probably can't put enough fuel into it with a stock pump to overboost.

Finding a spot under the hood to mount it will probably be tough. If you want to mount it down on the frame, I'd be glad to run through the process with you.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Actually, I'm hoping for a bolt together solution. I'm already doing enough fabrication with the saddle tanks and Dually/ Flatbed conversion.
Realistically, this is a 20 year old truck, while it's a low mileage truck, it's still old.
I'll be happy to get 2 years of profit out of it before it needs replacement/ retirement.
So, I don't want to invest more money than it can return before it collapses.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
You can fab up a kit for less than buying one of the manufacturers, but it'll take you time. I have a psd turbo mounted on the frame rail and it took me and a buddy about 30 hours to completely fab up what I have. Bear in mind this doesn't include the preliminary stuff (the mounting location made it impossible to mount the turbo in stock form--the oil inlet and return were facing straight up, so I had to take the turbo apart and spin the cartridge 180 degrees which means I had to redrill 2 of the 4 holes for both the turbine and compressor ends.)

It wasn't easy, but it was fun.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if he ever made the switch over here but a user named Woodie over at TDS mated one to an IDI. I think he used the stock location. He seemed happy with the results.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I'm hoping for a bolt together solution.

You are about throwing that out the window with a PSD turbo on an IDI. Up pipes, Down pipe, oil feed, oil return, Turbo mount, Intake hat and cold air intake will have to be fabbed. More fab needed if you install an intercooler.

Also depending on how you run the oil lines you may also need to rebuild the turbo to clear out metal shavings from holes if you tap them vs machine a pedestal that the lines run too instead.

It has been done by a few here, but other than the 7.3 liter displacement and the bellhousing bolt pattern there isn't much else in common between the PSD and the IDI. Two completely different engines.

IMHO for a bolt together solution you'ld be better off spending the money that you are planning to spend on the PSD turbo on an ATS or Banks kit made specificly for the IDI

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I'm tearing this thing down to it's guts anyway, I'm planning on buying a PSD turbo on ebay.How much terror am I getting into? What are my options for exhaust manifolds? I'm going to need some extra power, but is this going to be more hassle than it's worth? I'm not going into the innards of the engine, it runs too good. Should I just look at other kinds of power adders, like water/methanol, or propane?
I need more power, but I don't want to hurt the reliability.

Look here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=270120574770&rd=1,1