PSD Fuel Filter

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What would it take for us to convert to using a psd fuel filter on our idi motors? I have always liked the way it just drops into the fuel in the housing. No need to fill or prime it. Just seems like a much easier filter change out to me....:dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey good idea, if you figure out how to do it let us know. Sure would be simple and clean and quick to do eh!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prolly wouldn't take much.They are simply bolted on these engines with 2 bolts on the side. would just be a matter of hooking up lines. You'ld have to gut the pressure regulator on the return side.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
uh guys the only reason the PSD self primes is it is An electric pump on the Superdutys.
on ths first gen psd mech pump, they still need to be fillled upon installation.
the pump will prime them, but mainly that is due to the return system in the filter housing

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So those of us that have an electric lift pump will have an easier job of changing things over..... I think I'm going to work on this idea and post back with some results....:D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So those of us that have an electric lift pump will have an easier job of changing things over..... I think I'm going to work on this idea and post back with some results....:D

Nice thing with the PSD filter housing is being able to drain the fuel and/or release the pressure using the valve on them. You can hook a hose up to it too for a nice clean job instead of making a mess, There are also a few extra ports on the housing that'll enable you to hook up a fuel pressure gauge easily too.

Bear in mind the housings I am talking about are for the 7.3 in the Superduty, don't know if there are differences in the OBS style trucks.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Never had to prime any PSD even the OBS drain the fuel change filter and then start it up drive away no pre filling needed but with the filter housing costing upwards of $400 and prone to leaking I'll stick to my one piece filter just fill it up with fuel and replace start and drive away I' just don't understand why some have such bad luck with changing the filter and getting air in the system

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Bear in mind the housings I am talking about are for the 7.3 in the Superduty, don't know if there are differences in the OBS style trucks.

Here's my (very dirty) OBS PSD fuel bowl and fuel pressure regulator. My schrader valve has brass pieces added to give me a 90* bend.

Attachments

• OBS fuel bowl.jpg
    OBS fuel bowl.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Would you mount in it the same position as on the PS? Cause I'm thinking that you couldnt do it cause the intake manifold would be in the way of mounting it in the valley. But maybe I'm wrong :dunno

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
not sure where you would mount it.
cost is a also a factor.
one from a SD would be easier as the bolts are in from the front.
on the OBS it bolts down through into the valley.

not sure if pressure has any bearing on the filters as the OBS is only 4-7 psi, but the SD is 50 +
Nick