Prospective 98 24v owner....First performance mods ?s

Conn

Offroad Jeep Dude
Reaction score
I'm thinking aout picking up this 98 24v quadcab dually next week and have been shooting around ideas about how i'm going to go about the performance add ons.

I want to do a fuel pressure gauge, as well as boost and pyro right off the bat. As well as...

5" exhuast
Edge Comp Box
Bullly Dog "Big Fuel" kit
AirRaid Intake

Would the big fuel kit be a necessity? I'm wanting to eliminate the possibility of lift pump failure right from the get-go, that way maybe i won't have to worry about buying a $2500 IP in 20,000 miles.

What kind of power increases am I looking at by adding all that stuff?
What would be the next step if I'd want more power? Injectors? Turbo?

Going from an 89 IDI Ford to the 98 Cummins is a big power increase in itself, but I can't leave well enough alone to save my life.

BTW, the 98 is a 5 speed with 85k on the clock.

Thanks for any help guys. Much appreciated.

Conn

Whit

Reaction score
Conn, sounds like you are going about it right so far, 1 question is it a 12 valve or 24 valve? if it is a 24 valve then its a 98.5 model. Yes get the clutch too as it will definatly be needed.

Conn

Offroad Jeep Dude
Reaction score
Yeah. It's 24v. Heres a pic.

You must be registered for see images

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice truck Conn, looks like it will serve well as a Jeep hauler. What gears does it have in it? Scotty

J.Keith

Reaction score
I like the way my 2000 feels with just the Comp and 275's
Just guessing from the #'s on my 98.5 it feels around 300- 325.
Nice but not too crazy. Of course I want to do mach 5's with twins and on and on and on.
Nice rig man. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.
Joe

Jethro

Reaction score
Nice truck!

Don't expect much of anything from the exhaust, fuel line kit and intake. They are necessary but don't add much power.

I would definately upgrade the lines/fuel pump. I burned through 3 or 4 stock lift pumps. Then I went to the FASS pump only and did the lines in -6 all the way to the injection pump.

I love injectors and would definately recommend them. ETH motors respond a little different to injectors than ETC motors, but I am addicted to injectors. With the ETC in the truck you are looking at, a comp will be an excellent start.

Your setup will depend on what you want the truck for. Are you going to tow heavy? drive emtpy? race? sled pull?

Take Billysgoat's advice and budget a clutch.

Other than that, the comp will do well and is always a good step.

Jason

Billysgoat

Rolling Smokeshow
Reaction score
One other note on the clutch, go ahead and get the high HP rated version of whoever's you go with, the initial cost is not much more and is well worth not having to pull the tranny...again. I did it the "wrong" way the first time and got not enough clutch trying to save some money...big mistake, leave it at that.