Promise... the build

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, got-er-done!!!

Donated a bunch of blood to her today. No idea where those cuts came from.

I should have done this long ago.

I'm afraid I have been running around not feeding my IP enough.

I was concerned about a knock, (a bunch of knocks, as in several cylinders.), that was getting worse.

Got this all done. Started it up. Bad knock bad knock bad knock... Then the knock goes away almost completely.

Plus, I have a road draft tube. When sitting at idle, that sucker makes it look like the truck is on fire. No smoke from that, today!!

Yeah. Like I said, should have done this long ago.

Oh well, it's done now.

I plumbed in both the manual pump and the electric, along with the check valves, so that 1. I could prime the system any time, with the electric pump. and 2. I would be sure the IP is getting fed enough fuel.

Looks like it is working for both purposes.

Still had to give it 8 seconds on the glow plugs, after priming with the electric pump... But it started better than it has, in a while.

If Scotty4 gets that canopy for me this weekend, I will have a good chance to drive this on a longer trip on the highway, and see if there is any difference. Hoping again, for a difference even in fuel mileage. Still sitting at 11 to 13mpg.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that road trip is going to happen next weekend.

Today, I just drove down the road a bit, and back.

It's like I put a second engine in it! It was strong before. Now it's strong AND fast.

Now I feel bad for running it with not enough fuel being fed to the IP for so long.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

But then, I also recently replaced the tach sensor. The VSS. And replaced and adjusted the FIPL.... And it had already started shifting correctly after that. (Posted about it earlier in this thread.)

Gotta say though, what little sense I was still getting of shifting problems, is gone. Seat of the pants sort of stuff.

Bottom line for me is that these engines are so powerful, (torque mostly, is what I am talking about, not speed. Just plain brute force.) That even when being starved for fuel, it is so much more brute force than other trucks I have had, (all gassers), that it just seemed at the high end of normal. Now that it's getting the correct amount of fuel, like I said, it's like I added a whole other engine in there. Wow.

Still glad to have the electric plumbed inline with the wyes and the check valves. No worries whatever about air in the lines, or restarting after running out of fuel. She gets pumped up to full pressure every time, before I try to start her.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Gotta say though, what little sense I was still getting of shifting problems, is gone.
That's what I was getting at. I think it was because you had to push on the throttle more (to get the same performance that you can now with less throttle) so the FIPL would keep the trans in gear longer.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made two long trips, the past few days.

The good news... 14.1mpg!

And this one is certain.

Now I need to find some plexiglass. Or an entire replacement rear door for my canopy.

Here is a pic of the new cap. Taken with my phone.

You must be registered for see images attach

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have done plywood in a heartbeat. But I have to be able to see out the back, when I am backing into my driveway. Side mirrors aren't enough.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that road trip is going to happen next weekend.

Today, I just drove down the road a bit, and back.

It's like I put a second engine in it! It was strong before. Now it's strong AND fast.

Now I feel bad for running it with not enough fuel being fed to the IP for so long.

This is just a thought I had, but the added power you are feeling from the dual lift pumps could be a combination of the fact that the Ip is getting plenty of fuel, and possibly because the Ip timing got slightly advanced because of higher transfer psi. Either way though, that’s awesome that it’s producing a lot more power now!

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. I thought of that.

I had already turned the IP up quite a bit. This turned it up even more.

I like that the MPG has gone up, not down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online