Promise... the build

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for added power...

Used to be it could just get out of it's own way, on the highway.

Now... Already at highway speeds, hit the go pedal just a little, and it threatens to jump ahead and leave you behind!

Still kinda strange at low speeds. I'll keep working on that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As for added power...

Used to be it could just get out of it's own way, on the highway.

Now... Already at highway speeds, hit the go pedal just a little, and it threatens to jump ahead and leave you behind!

Still kinda strange at low speeds. I'll keep working on that.
You'll get used to it in a hurry.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant the shifting is still kind of strange.

I will work at that slowly. Do an adjustment of some sort, and live with it for a while, before adjusting anything else... Sort of thing.

New problem is something in the passenger side front end.

I was in a bad traffic situation the other day, and that wheel hit the curb pretty hard.

Since then, it has sometimes been kind of bouncy. Or acting like the tire is going flat.

I've checked for a knot in the tire. Nope. And it isn't going flat. But on the trip on wednesday, on the way home, it got so bad you would swear that the tire was almost completely flat.

If we ever get a few non-rainy days in a row, I'll be jacking that corner up, and checking everything. Including the bearing.

With my steep muddy driveway, it's just too dangerous for me to be checking those sorts of things out, while it is raining and muddy.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did it hit the curb or bounce up onto the curb?

Vibration or bounce? Just a thought, is it possible you blew out the shock? I don't recall if you've changed them or not.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your truck and posts are very inspiring sir and not camper shell or what ever people call them nice color scheme on truck as well.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did it hit the curb or bounce up onto the curb?

Vibration or bounce? Just a thought, is it possible you blew out the shock? I don't recall if you've changed them or not.
Both. It was a u-turn situation, and I had to get turned before oncoming traffic reached me.

Thinking about how it is acting, I think you may be onto something with the blown out shock.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you built two giant sawhorses then you could side it back onto one while supporting it best you can, then prop the second one up under it and drive out from it.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the method we talked about when you gave me the canopy. It's a sound idea.

Except that I don't have anywhere I can set that kind of thing up.

Most of my property and driveway are about a 32% grade... And kind of crowded.

I'll get something figured out, though.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is from another thread.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/diego-revisited.87745
I was talking about the canopy, and realizes I wasn't in the thread I thought I was. LOL

I read that and your previous posts about the missing rear window. I didn't know you had the frame still or I would have mentioned this earlier. Over in Vancouver there's a place called Peninsula glass. They do custom sized tempered glass. I had a window break in my shell and there was nothing available. They were able to cut and temper the size I needed and send it to me for very reasonable (and then I found a trashed camper that had a good window but that's another story). Yes mine was much smaller but you are much much closer and you want an excuse to get your truck out on the road, I'd give them a shout.

https://www.peninsulaglass.com/ or www.Onedayglass.com same place. See if they can't fix you up for pretty reasonable.

Peninsula Glass
6005 NE 121st Ave
Vancouver, WA 98682
Phone: 360-892-2029

On Edit; That might be a bit of a trip this soon for your truck. For some reason I thought Vancover Wa was up closer to the one in BC. That's what you get from someone 2400mi away oh well maybe it can still be done.

Last edited:

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And for your front slider, best I can tell LEER has always used CR Laurence window products for their toppers. They only offer their sliders in a couple dimensions with differing flanges to match the trucks they went in. SO if you can find another truck or topper with a CRL slider then they are pretty much plug and play. I used a front slider off a LEER for a 2004 dodge (3 window slider) in place of my LEER 4 window slider; perimeter dimensions were identical. And by chance if I'd wanted to use it in my truck it would have been the same as well b/c the PO installed a CRL rear slider there as well (I would have had to move my perimeter adapter frame for Ford too). CRL sliders are different than factory sliders in that they are designed to use the Single Pane rear window gasket to install them. Factory Sliders need a different gasket than the single pane windows.

Although it's not easy, the CRL sliders can be disassembled. You have to find the seam in the perimeter frame and drill out the rivets, then you can carefully spread the frame and remove the glass you need to remove. And for future reference the window glazing used to seal the panes is available in bulk from CRL or by part number from many online suppliers that sell their products. It's in their window glazing catalog.

http://www.crlaurence.com/apps/cont...rlaurence.com/adv/Auto_Products/index_us.html

Last edited:

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For removing the canopy, I know this would have to be adapted greatly for your location, I rigged up a pulley and hook system to lift mine off in my garage. I bought some double shiv pulleys at one of the hardware stores and some 90* brackets and some decent line test rope. It worked well for the topper and it's sturdy enough that I've also used it to lift the bed off and on my dads truck a couple different times. Maybe you've got some decent sized branches hanging low enough to throw some ropes over or maybe can put up a kind of a-frame to hang the pulleys from.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The canopy. Not completely done yet, but pretty close. The rest will probably wait until the next time we get clear weather again.

Front window was missing a slider. I decided to just remove the remaining slider. Then cut a piece of plexiglass big enough to fit the same as the sliders, but it overlaps on both sides of that opening.

Took that window completely out, to do so. Was glad I did. It was obvious the thing was leaking like a sieve, all around. Did the work on the window itself, then put a good big glob of sealant all around when I put it back in.

Door frame was broken, and missing the window. Didn't have a key for the t handle. And the mechanism was all broken on the inside anyway. So I installed a new t handle and mechanism. Had to cut the bars down, to fit. Then bang on them on a rock with a hammer, to make the ends flat again. LOL (I don't have an anvil, or even a piece of railroad track. Something I really need to get.)

I had to cut two pieces of plexiglass to replace the window, since I couldn't find one piece big enough to do the job. Sandwiched the seam between the two pieces, in some aluminum flat bar.

Got that all done, and reinstalled. Got everything adjusted. Works great.

Still going to have to put on the camper tape, but again, that's going to wait for more clear weather.

Also installed a third brake light.

All in all, it looks pretty good! Going to change that pretty soon though. I am going to make a lumber rack. Using 2x6s, and two pipes. Going to make it look as good as I can, but what can I say? It'll be 2x6s and pipes. LOL

Also have in mind a way to utilize that rack system, to be able to lift the canopy off the truck in the future.

And the caulking job is atrocious! My career was in construction. And even when I was the one running the company, I was never any good at caulking things. I tend to put on too much, then make a mess, smearing it all over the place, trying to clean up. I think I am just too impatient, and really want to make sure it's sealed. LOL 40 plus, years, and I never learned to do it well.

Oh well, I was going for utility anyway. Not looks.

Long hard day for me. I am beat! Got pains in places where I never knew I had places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online