Project Queso

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For timing, Justin at R&D always suggested 6* as a general best spot for a turbo since the little extra heat would spool the turbo faster. So if you run his 110 pump your 7* is probably in a good spot. I don't remember what Wes suggests, probably similar but he builds his own pumps and might have another take on it.

My setup is in my siggy and its around 8 IIRC. It's been a while since I timed it, and my engine seems to be way less sensitive to timing than others. My MPGs don't change a lot, just more torque earlier or more power later for the most part like a gasser. So I guess I'm not much help, doh.

Your seats/interior is so nice! Love it!

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO @Diesilee @The_Josh_Bear
Thank you for your feedback.
I'm gonna run with 7* for now, but I'll update if that changes.

For anyone installing SD interior, the Du-Ha under seat organizer for the SD rear seat does in fact fit. Wouldn't know why it wouldn't, but now we have confirmation.
You must be registered for see images attach

Painted the Hood, Cowl and Stone guard over the weekend. Hoping to get them on soon.
Cannot find a decent SD bumper at this time. The definition of decent is not wrecked and not $1500.
Dropping the stock bumpers off to be Line-x'd. I figure it's the best I can do with the time I have left to complete this project.
The stockers were rusty and the 'chrome' peeling off.

Fingers Crossed.

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Queso has been 'done' for two weeks now. I've been struggling to get it done for a trip planned very soon.
First fuel economy numbers.

Fill 1: 567 miles, 13.2 MPG.
520 miles of interstate. 350 bobtailed, 170 w/ 18' lowboy trailer @ ~3500lbs.
Balance city driving half with half without trailer.

Fill 2: 445 miles, 12.6 MPG.
120 miles interstate with trailer mentioned above. 60 miles test mixed interstate/county highway with camper @ ~10k lbs. Balance city/highway empty bobtailed commute.

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Trip summary:
~1200 miles with camper @65-70 MPH averaged 9ish MPG.
This included I-75 and I-40 south.
~600 miles without camper @70-75 MPH averaged 15ish MPG.
This included I-74 North and I-64 West.

Queso had all the power I needed however the cooling system could not keep up in the hills.
On the flat we were fine and the low speed/stop and go traffic AC performance was AMAZING.
When we hit the 'mountains' things got spicy. Had to throttle WAY back far too many times for my liking.
EGT's never touched 1200F.

In several weeks I need to make this trip again. I will be reinstalling the mechanical fan to see what difference it makes.

I am thoroughly unamused with the part throttle smoke I'm witnessing. I am going to add some timing and see what happens.

I also need to build an air box and get outside air. The Turbo is, in a sense, eating it's own excrement with the current under-hood intake.

Otherwise, the trip was great. No issues outside of the overheating. The Fuel transfer setup worked flawlessly as did the balance of the fuel system. The Electric Vacuum Pump 'helper' worked GREAT in stop and go traffic giving me no pedal wander and nice brakes every time. Seats were comfortable and the Cooled seats are fantastic.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weekend update.

I had forgotten to mention while the heads were off that I played with several different way to clean out the injector bores.
What worked best for me was Brakefree foaming bore cleaner. I filled each cavity, let it sit for 30 minuets, then hit the bores with a 12 Gauge brass brush on a drill. Worked really really well.
That segue brought to you by installed injectors.
Actually installed the exhaust manifolds.
Installed the water pump.
Installed the motor mounts.
Reassembled the Filter head, sans heater. I'm waiting on my adjustable fuel pressure switch. I intend to use the factory "Fuel Filter" dash light. I want it to come where I want it to, not only on vacuum.
Not much else done. Ran out of steam early today.
@krogo I’m about to be cleaning my injector bores and installing new injectors this weekend. I was figuring to do the same method as you stated here. Did you blow compressed air in GP chamber to clear out any of that build up you cleaned out? Any grease in the cup or anything to help keep crap from falling in?

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@krogo I’m about to be cleaning my injector bores and installing new injectors this weekend. I was figuring to do the same method as you stated here. Did you blow compressed air in GP chamber to clear out any of that build up you cleaned out? Any grease in the cup or anything to help keep crap from falling in?
Sorry for the delay, Life....

Since the heads were off, after I cleaned them, I flooded the bores with brake cleaner to flush out the pre-chambers.
I'm not certain I'd do this with the heads still installed.
The bore cleaner didn't make a big mess and I'd imagine if you were sparing, you could roll the engine over after to blow gunk out, but there is always the risk of sucking crud in too.

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In several weeks I need to make this trip again. I will be reinstalling the mechanical fan to see what difference it makes.
As an update, a year later (cough cough), reinstalling the mechanical fan did not make a significant difference.
What I did notice is that with the electric fans and my controls, I didn't have to worry about thermal overshoot.
The delay in the fan clutch locking actually netted a slightly higher average temperature. I partially expected this.
As of now, Queso is hurt. I'm going through considerable amounts of oil, all of which is getting ingested in the intake.
I have not pulled the turbo to check the compressor seal yet. Blow by is higher than expected, but I wouldn't call it excessive.
I've spent the last year working on "honey-do" projects and this year so far has been spent preparing for two kids to graduate college (Party Today!)
Hopefully I'll determine the issue soon, I'm itching to go on a trip!!!

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update, the second.

I performed a quick inspection of the turbo in-situ.......
It's smoked. No axial play, but there is enough radial play to allow the compressor wheel to hit the housing.
As of today, it doesn't appear as though a strike has occurred, but Queso is grounded until I can R&R the Turbo...
MegaGrumbles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online

No members online now.