Project Queso

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I occasionally ask myself about my sanity. Then I decide that I'm crazy so I don't bother to answer!
On a serious note, I am interested in your fuel mileage with those gapless rings. I'm building my Red Truck (soon to be powered by a 6.9) with the idea of it being my daily driver/run around truck so fuel mileage is at the top of the list, barely edging out the cool factor for the top spot.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cerakote acts as a thermal barrier/insulator. When the engine is running, it'll protect the piston from high combustion temperatures, reduce oil temperature due to lower piston temperature (Squirters are piston crown coolers), allow that (normally) lost heat to dump into the exhaust improving turbo response, etc.....
During a cold start, the aluminum alloy piston robs an enormous amount of heat during the compression stroke. Cerakote performs the same role as an insulator allowing greater retention of heat generated during compression compared to bare aluminum.
Remember, Aluminum's thermal conductivity is five times better than cast iron.
We have done many experiments over the years at work and have determined there is a difference in cold start performance (among other benefits) with coated pistons. The Cost benefit analyses however never could justify piston face coatings from the factory.

Compression is dynamic in nature. If you slowly rotate the engine, say barring the engine over, you'll never achieve "listed" compression.
The gaps in standard rings are just fixed orifices. As piston speed increases the effects of this fixed orifice become more negligible.
Cylinder pressures determine the leak rate, so theoretically with higher boost (Queso was NA originally if we all remember) there will be more blow-by.
The same could be said about adding fuel. Any increase in power is just an increase in cylinder pressure.
Realistically, I cannot fathom, at highway operating speeds, there being any difference at all in compression. Blow-by, absolutely, but not compression.
At cranking speeds, perhaps there is a net "gain" over standard rings. Frankly, I don't know.

With both the Cerakote (be it piston crowns or the whole darn engine for that matter) and the gapless rings, as well as any other unique mods (fans, fuel system etc..) my goals have been clear from the beginning. Make the most reliable truck I can while experimenting and having fun along the way. If anything I have done creates a good natured discourse I couldn't be happier. I aim to provide ongoing feedback about the behavior, reliability, economy, etc... of Queso for as long as there is interest.

I welcome any question, anytime, regarding the project or even my sanity.
Well said and thank you for the clear and logical answers! I totally get it now, and it makes a lot of sense.
Keep up the good work!

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, It seems as though I'll have to paint Queso myself. I cannot find a body shop that's willing to take the project on.
It seems defrauding insurance companies is far more lucrative (as one would imagine) than taking on a cash job.

Wish me luck!

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the cab sanded down with 120.
Roof and back of the cab SUCKS!!!
Also discovered it's been painted from the beltline down at some point. I've uncovered no damage or rust in that area though. Interesting.
Still have to sand the Door jambs. I've got the first coat of body filler on in the areas that needed it (no pic, hands were too tired)

I've also decided that all exterior components (Door handles, wiper arms, Headlight Bezels, Grille, etc..) will get Cerakoted with the grey I used on the engine. Why not.
I'll try to get some pics soon on the few components I've done. The only difference to the engine pieces is that they will get clear coated.

You must be registered for see images attach

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I take it you are using chebby mirrors??
I got some I have to swap on at some point...
I hate Chevys, but I really like visibility..

Rock

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New cab lights installed. Sadly, the LEDs provided by CP Addict were garbage. Replaced with Sylvania Zevo 194A.

Door handles and passengers side mirror installed. Strayed from the instructions here as well. The destructions from OBS Solutions suggest drilling through both plates and running the wires slipped under the vent window seal. I drilled a hole in the outer plate for the wires from the mirror, and drilled a hole directly beneath that hole, through the door and into the cavity between the plates. Fishing the wires was tough but doable and now they are in the door cavity without being visible from the backside.

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Restored the cargo lamp with a headlight restoration kit, Cerakoted and cleared, installed. Installed AM/FM/GPS Sharkfin antenna.
Original antenna location will be converted to Amateur Radio antenna.
Installed the drivers side mirror, wired mirrors to factory power mirror joystick (scrapyard find).
Added aftermarket keyless (fob) entry.
Passengers Rear door weather strip and glass reinstalled.

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drivers Rear door reassembled.
Rear Window Reinstalled.
Mass loading (Dynamat like material) done on roof, rear of cab, and in/on doors.
Closed Cell foam done on rear of cab and part of roof.

It's truly impressive how just mass loading the doors makes them sound SO MUCH better. No more rattle and bong, just a refined thud.

Front seats need to come out again. I am working on finalizing the wiring to the seats and center console.
The "Master and Commander" (wife) has insisted on ventilated seats. I ordered new leather covers for the front seats perforated for use with a heating and cooling system.
I'll take pictures, I promise.
Going to need a 15A circuit to each seat now, and adding a 20A circuit to the center console for inverter duty/Amateur radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online