Project Mosquito Control...

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Yeah he said a HX55 with a 19CM exhaust housing with a external wastegate. I called mel and said a hx55 but I was kinda vauge he said thats just a turbo type. Suppose I need more details....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brad's been doing this for so long (his dad was and still is a puller too) he assumes you know as much as he does and skips some info at times. He's a great guys and won't care if you call back with more questions.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bugged him for close to two years before buying the turbos I'm going to use. I'm still not sure about the exhaust housings. I may need to swap them depending on how they spool and what the drive pressures are.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get calls all the time from guys who hear a buzz word on the internet, and want "a Holset turbo" When you shop for a turbo, you should be aware that there is no single turbo model that comprises a specific set of specifications. Just as Jon mentioned, their are turbo housing options and wastegate options. Even within a family, there can be different trim levels. Selecting the correct turbo for an application begins with finding the values needed for your specific engine, and then looking at compressor maps to match the flow and boost requirements for your specific application. Take a look at the list of terms below to get a feel for how complicated this can get..... (this is info from Garrett's web site)

A/R
A/R is a numerical rating assigned to radial flow housings in order to distinguish the relative volumetric flow capacity of the housing. A/R does have units of length (inches or cm) based on the "A" over "R" description. One must be careful because the A/R values can only be compared within a single family of housings. 0.86 A/R of a GT28R and a 0.85 A/R of a GT40 have very different flow capacities. The term A/R is derived from:

Q = volumetric flow rate
A = cross-sectional area of the volute at the tongue
R = radius to the dynamic center (The dynamic center locates that point which divides the scroll area such
that half the flow passes above and half the flow passes below the dynamic center.)
V = tangential component of velocity

Q = A x V (where V = K (flow rate constant) / R)

Q = A x K/R

Q = K x A/R

Since K is a constant then A/R defines the flow capacity of hsgs within the same family.

Compressor A/R - Compressor performance is largely insensitive to changes in A/R, but generally larger A/R housings are used to optimize the performance for low boost applications and smaller housings are used for high boost applications. Typically there are not A/R options available for compressor housings.

Turbine A/R - Turbine performance is greatly affected by changing the A/R of the housing. Turbine A/R is used to adjust the flow capacity of the turbine. Using a smaller A/R will increase the exhaust gas velocity into the turbine wheel, causing the wheel to spin faster at lower engine RPMs giving a quicker boost rise. This will also tend to increase exhaust backpressure and reduce the max power at high RPM. Conversely, using a larger A/R will lower exhaust gas velocity and delay boost rise, but the lower backpressure will give better high-RPM power. When deciding between A/R options, be realistic with the intended vehicle use and use the A/R to bias the performance toward the desired powerband.

Choke Line
The choke line is on the right hand side of a compressor map and represents the flow limit. Properly sizing a turbo is important to prevent the compressor from operating past the choke line. When a turbocharger is run deep into choke, turbo speeds increase dramatically while compressor efficiency plunges (very high compressor outlet temps). Additionally, the turbo's durability is compromised by the resulting high thrust loads.

CHRA(Center Housing & Rotating Assembly)
The CHRA is essentially a turbocharger minus the compressor and turbine housings

Clipped Turbine Wheel
When an angle is machined on the turbine wheel exducer (outlet side), the wheel is said to be "clipped". Clipping causes a minor increase in the wheel's flow capability; however, it dramatically lowers the turbo efficiency. This reduction in efficiency causes the turbo to come up on boost at a later engine speed (ex. increased turbo lag). High performance applications should never use a clipped turbine wheel. All Garrett GT turbos use modern unclipped turbine wheels.

Corrected Air Flow
When plotting actual airflow data on a compressor map, the flow must be corrected to account for different atmospheric conditions that affect air density.

Example:
Air Temperature (Air Temp) - 60°F
Barometric Pressure (Baro) - 14.7 psi
Engine air consumption (Actual Flow) = 50 lb/min
Corrected Flow= Actual Flow SQR([Air Temp+460]/545)/ Baro/13.95
Corrected Flow= 50*SQR([60+460]/545)/ (14.7/13.95) = 46.3 lb/min

Efficiency Contours
The efficiency contours depict the regional efficiency of the compressor stage. When sizing a turbo, it is important to maintain the proposed lugline with a high efficiency range on the map.

Free-Float
A free-floating turbocharger has no Wastegates device. This turbocharger can't control its own boost levels. For performance applications, the user normally must install an external Wastegates.

On-Center Turbine Housings
On-center turbine housings refer to an outdated style of turbine housing with a centered turbine inlet pad. The inlet pad is centered on the turbo's axis of rotation instead of being tangentially located. Using an on-center housing will significantly lower the turbine's efficiency. This results in increased turbo lag, more backpressure, lower engine volumetric efficiency, and less overall engine power. No Garrett OEM's use on-center housings.

Pressure Ratio
Ratio of absolute outlet pressure divided by absolute inlet pressure

Example:
Intake manifold pressure (Boost) = 12 psi
Pressure drop, intercooler (DPIntercooler) = 2 psi
Pressure drop, air filter (DPAir Filter) = 0.5 psi
Atmosphere (Atmos) = 14.7 psi at sea level
PR = (Boost + DPIntercooler+ Atmos) / (Atmos-DPAir Filter)
PR = (12 + 2 + 14.7) / (14.7 -.5) = 2.02

Surge Line
The surge region, located on the left-hand side of the compressor map, is an area of flow instability typically caused by compressor inducer stall. The turbo should be sized so that the engine does not operate in the surge range. When turbochargers operate in surge for long periods of time, bearing failures may occur.

Trim
Trim is an area ratio used to describe both turbine and compressor wheels. As trim is increased, the wheel can support more air/gas flow. Trim is calculated using the inducer and exducer diameters.

Example:
Inducer diameter = 88mm
Exducer diameter = 117.5mm
Trim = Inducer2/Exducer2
Trim = 882/117.52 = 56 Trim

Wastegates
A Wastegated turbocharger includes an integral device to limit turbo boost. This consists of a pneumatic actuator connected to a valve assembly mounted inside the turbine housing. By connecting the pneumatic actuator to boost pressure, the turbo is able to limit its maximum boost output. The net result is increased durability, quicker time to boost, and adjustability of boost.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
No I didn't give up, just been so freaking busy and just started a 6 week CDL training course. but tonight I cut out the rear cab patch, yean with an IH even the patches need patches... cookoo

You must be registered for see images

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With DDT banned in '72 and 40 yrs (redid the math) since then, hopefully not too much residue in the bed, but I'm no expert; just sayin'.

Around here, the mosquito control authorities used 1st gen Scouts as spray vehicles, come to think of it.

After the mosquito guy drove by we would run out in the cloud that was left behind. It did not affect us any. We are still as messed up as we were before. :rotflmao:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Off the coast here in so cal we have an area about 6 miles offshore thats banned from fishing. Several thousand barrels of DDT were dropped over board there in the mid 60s. Its even posted on chart maps as no fishing areas. Talk about a mess...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off the coast here in so cal we have an area about 6 miles offshore thats banned from fishing. Several thousand barrels of DDT were dropped over board there in the mid 60s. Its even posted on chart maps as no fishing areas. Talk about a mess...
I have to say, it was very nice of the contaminated fish to be careful to stay in the quarantine zone and not swim to somewhere where they might be picked up by a fisherman who thought he was safe :D

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
went to the truck show with Brandon Saturday!

The RV is mine, powered by a 392 with a bath tub full of beer! ;Sweet

Decided to get back on the Travelette today, boy the heat made it more fun with the grinding dust sticking to every inch of me! cookoo

Changed directions, fabbed up a new rust free patch....

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Back at it! I couldn't sleep thinking more rust monster may be hidden under the roof panel.... that's where these trucks rust the worst! there's no way to check without major surgery!

No major rust.... a lot of work getting in there but better piece of mind!

Only spot was pass side

DIE RUST MONSTER!

Rust free patch!

one piece at a timeeeee.....

Forum statistics

Threads