Project Black Stallion

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to my brother and my friend Ben we were able to double check a few things on the heads and to get them bolted on and torqued down. Hopefully it's all down hill from here!
You must be registered for see images attach

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today was a busy day of cleaning, painting and assembling parts.
The engine is almost ready to go in after I do the wiring, injectors, and injection pump. I also test fit the turbo tonight to see how everything lined up.

I also hit a slight snag cause the fuel pickup I was planning on using with my 38gal rear tank just isn't going to fit since there isn't enough clearance between the bed and the tank. But to my surprise the FASS fuel pump I'm using only uses 3/8in feed lines so I'm just going to modify the sender like the kit says and pull through the stock pickup. I don't know why I was thinking it used 1/2in feed lines and that I would have to upgrade to a larger pickup o_O

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks good. im not sure if the 86 cabs are any different but there is only one way to slip that turbo in there.

what I did was, I put the turbo mounting flange in and left the three bolts as loose as possible. then I think I put the intake side in first and rotated the exhaust side in with the drain tube in the VP. it took me several tries so once I got it was like a bout time moment. I also couldn't use the locknut on the liquid fitting for the backside of the turbo. it made it too close the firewall. I also had to cut off the bracket on the DP, it seemed to be in the way of rotating it in.

good luck, not sure if you already knew that but there it is.LOL

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking good. at some point I will do a complete rebuild on an IDI for my truck.

a few questions, is the turbo the standard model Mel has or did you change the housings?
are you using the hypermax mounting system?

what are your plans for an IC setup?

if your using almost all the same parts I am you will need to the same mods I have done. feel free to ask of look in my thread, it could make your build go a lot easier.

I will be curious on your boost numbers with the bigger pump. I have found with the 90cc pump and the fan clutch mod I can get 17 psi maybe 1,000 egt WOT and I can hold it there with no problems, almost no smoke and the coolant temp barely moves from 195*.

lastly I highly recommend you don't use a muffler, besides that liquid cooled big boy on the bench.
So I was mocking up everything tonight and I remembered you had to lengthen the oil drain. My question is which way is your center section cocked? The way I got it from mel the coolant port to the front of the motor would be lower and the back higher. It looks like if I cooked it the other way with the front port being higher that I probably wouldn't have to lengthen the oil drain.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cummins oil drain works. It's a few inches longer than the Banks one was. Not sure on other kits.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was mocking up everything tonight and I remembered you had to lengthen the oil drain. My question is which way is your center section cocked? The way I got it from mel the coolant port to the front of the motor would be lower and the back higher. It looks like if I cooked it the other way with the front port being higher that I probably wouldn't have to lengthen the oil drain.

you could do that but if you look at the paper that came with the turbo it says the water inlet has to be the low side and it pushes water up through the turbo. I guess it has to do with the way it cools. it would make the fittings fit better but not sure if it would do any harm.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its just how they want it done. if you do clock it different I don't see why you couldn't have the coolant come in from the back vs the front.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was going to use the back side for the inlet. I was actually going to use the port at the rear drivers side head for my inlet water and then just tee the outlet into the return from the heater core.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that should work fine then. as long as its all setup in the correct order it doesn't matter how you do it.

I probably could have done it that way also. it should make the coolant fittings fit better but either way there still tough to get to.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just staring at it yesterday thinking and reading that it doesn't matter which way coolant flows through it. I think I'm going to try it that way and see how it looks. Just trying to keep things simple. It is a massive turbo on top of the engine already, haha!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah its a tite fit. I will say it spins for a long time when the motor shuts down, it sounds pretty cool.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter which direction as long as the inlet is on the bottom side. They have a tech paper somewhere that shows the cooling profile with angle. If you get the angle right it cools better and you'll have less coking.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the ugly reality is beginning to set in that I most likely won't have my truck done for this years rally. The little things just keep eating up tons of time and the engine is still on the stand because of needing random fittings, hardware, wiring, ect. I'm still going to try to have it done, but with that being said I don't want to rush anything or overlook something. So it looks like I may be hitchhiking this year, haha!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well do the best you can and keep trucking!!!!!

In all seriousness if you really do need a ride I have a crew cab with only two people. No troubles at all and your on the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online