procharger?

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
has any put a pro charger on a idi? :dunno
it seems possible you might have to loose your air conditioning haha :dunno
i think it woulb be cool i dunno if i could fine a small enough pro charger but then you could have boost right off idle and not have to wait for her to spool up?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Takes a good amount of horsepower to drive any sort of supercharger (roots especially). If you found a small one to have boost right off idle, then it would be inefficient at higher rpm's (like having a small turbo).

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if u run a procharger for boost right off the line and the run a turbo too would that make it efficent in the higher rpms?
just thinking

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those old Detroits were 2 cycle diesels. A 2 cycle uses a roots blower to force the intake air into the engine. They will NOT run with out the roots blower. I had a 8V92TA Detroit that was also turbocharged and that gave the performance boost like normal. You are trying to use two types of blowers/turbos to provide a constant boost. I have never seen this done. The variable vane turbocharger comes close. See Ford 6.0.

Dave

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those old Detroits were 2 cycle diesels. A 2 cycle uses a roots blower to force the intake air into the engine. They will NOT run with out the roots blower. I had a 8V92TA Detroit that was also turbocharged and that gave the performance boost like normal. You are trying to use two types of blowers/turbos to provide a constant boost. I have never seen this done. The variable vane turbocharger comes close. See Ford 6.0.

Dave
the new design roots now has a electric clutch and a bypass valve. the MBZ SL 55 AMG uses the design. under normal acceleration, the supercharger is bypassed and is not working. flatten the throttle, the electric clutch engages and violent forward acceleration now happens:D;Sweet
i just had one of these animals in for a hydraulic suspension pump replacement and the test run I took it on netted me 120 mph whereas it would only be 60 mph in my CC dually at the same point.:eek:
yeee haaa;p

Attachments

• sl55amg1.jpg
    sl55amg1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 5
  • sl55amg2.jpg
    sl55amg2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 6

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I shared my thoughts on running an Eaton M112 or two on the IDI in the past but was shot down by the turbo guys. I think with the Eaton's design it would be a much better choice over a centrifugal type supercharger( like the Procharger ) .

Run the Eaton/s with a nice sized water to air intercooler and I think you'd be very happy with the performance. The torque would be insane.:D

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer of a SC then a TC, that will keep the boost through the Rpm range. I think a 1st gen PSD turbo would be good...?

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Eatons would give you boost thru the entire rpm range. The Mustang guys pull them because they aren't really efficient at higher rpms. But how often do you take your IDI over 5,000 rpms?:D

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
There is a guy over on the nation that uses a procharger and a turbo to power his 6.0. It is insane fast;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What Calvin said would be what you would want to look into...electric clutch. Especially for a smaller SC as you can get boost down low till a turbo spools, at a certain rpm the clutch would disengage and it's all turbo.