Problems with my new injectors very frustrating

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the new moose buddy injectors installed with new copper washers and return kit. Bores are spotless all old copper washers were removed.
Start her up and she runs great smooth idle no fuel knock.
Then the 3rd injector from the fire wall driver side is leaking from the bore threads. Gets worse with rpm.
I pull it out wipe it off regrease o rings install again same damn leak.
Its not from the return cap i watched it very well for 30min and the injector is not loose in the bore i snugged it down pretty good and it did nothing for the problem.
Whats the deal?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think @BrianX128 had the same issue maybe?

If you are for sure leaking from the bore and not the cap, the injector needs to be pulled out and tightened between the nozzle retainer and the injector body.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think @BrianX128 had the same issue maybe?

If you are for sure leaking from the bore and not the cap, the injector needs to be pulled out and tightened between the nozzle retainer and the injector body.

Yeah I had that happen. The body on mine was bad, no amount of tightening could fix it so mel sent me a different injector. Swap the leaker with another and before you put the leaker back in put the top in a vice and tighten the bottom of the injector with a 5/8 flare wrench. See if the leak continues and follows the injector or the cylinder hole. Make sure the bores are clean too. 12gauge shotgun bore cleaner on a cordless drill will clean the carbon in the injector holes pretty flawlessly just wipe it out with a paper towel real good on the bottom where the copper washer goes and make sure to use new washers to seal the bottoms of the injectors.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Can an injector leak from the mid way point where it threads together?
Short answer is yes. Might try changing this injector to another cylinder and see if the leak moves with it. Best remove the leaker and look closely at the body and end cap for small cracks. Honestly I do not feel your injector is leaking like you posted. Mel will not send out a defective part. He tests EVERYTHING very well.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i have replaced all orings and copper washer and new return cap and moved the injector up one spot and i still get the same leak that slowly comes up from the injector bore threads. When i removed the injector it was covered in fuel.
I put an old injector back in no leaks at all it has to be the injector body leaking.
Ill call mel on monday and see what he has to say hopefully he can send me another and ill send this one back with my cores.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short answer is yes. Might try changing this injector to another cylinder and see if the leak moves with it. Best remove the leaker and look closely at the body and end cap for small cracks. Honestly I do not feel your injector is leaking like you posted. Mel will not send out a defective part. He tests EVERYTHING very well.

He took care of it and then some and was super helpful and understanding, but I had this exact same issue with one of mine.

If you want to be sure and have an air nozzle with a rubber end from an air compressor, put a small amount of air into the top of the injector and hold your fingers over the sides where the plastic cap would sit to force the air down the body of the injector and if you are having this issue you'll see bubbles at the threads where the injector body screws together.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i have replaced all orings and copper washer and new return cap and moved the injector up one spot and i still get the same leak that slowly comes up from the injector bore threads. When i removed the injector it was covered in fuel.
I put an old injector back in no leaks at all it has to be the injector body leaking.
Ill call mel on monday and see what he has to say hopefully he can send me another and ill send this one back with my cores.

Well if you didn’t tighten the injector bore where the two halves thread together, then yes, it’ll continue leaking. The injector needs to be tightened. Make sense now?

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you didn’t tighten the injector bore where the two halves thread together, then yes, it’ll continue leaking. The injector needs to be tightened. Make sense now?

I tried and it didnt budge and im not going to push it to hard and mess up the injector and void the warranty.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you isolated the issue and are on the way to fixing it.Please keep the forum updated on what the final fix is. Mel is a stand up guy that will take care of you. This we all know for sure.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you isolated the issue and are on the way to fixing it.Please keep the forum updated on what the final fix is. Mel is a stand up guy that will take care of you. This we all know for sure.

I just spoke with mel and susie they are mailing me a new moose buddy injector today. I just dropped the warranty injector along with my cores off at the post office.
Ill keep you updated when i can. Im only home 10 days at a time so i might be gone to work before the replacement injector arrives.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very sorry this problem happened. Obviously we don't want this to be an issue, and are trying to find ways to test them more thoroughly. The problems of vibration and heat are difficult to duplicate in a test environment, and short of putting them in an actual engine, I have not had any luck. Besides, if I did that, then you would be getting used injectors, and nobody wants that. We have had some nozzle nuts crack in the past, and we have backed off the torque on those a little to reduce the chance of that, but it's a balancing act to be sure.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very sorry this problem happened. Obviously we don't want this to be an issue, and are trying to find ways to test them more thoroughly. The problems of vibration and heat are difficult to duplicate in a test environment, and short of putting them in an actual engine, I have not had any luck. Besides, if I did that, then you would be getting used injectors, and nobody wants that. We have had some nozzle nuts crack in the past, and we have backed off the torque on those a little to reduce the chance of that, but it's a balancing act to be sure.

No worries on my end Mel. You guys were super customer friendly and on the spot service. Hell the replacement injector is expected delivery today i called you on monday. I couldn't ask for faster turn around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online