Pro tips with IP install?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dread the day I have to replace mine. I don't think I have the patience!

dhk coatings

Reaction score
so far, ive been going to work put in a day and come home. trucks been starting, but just cold starts
. adjusted the fipl tonight and installed a reman starting motor. I love the top bolt on the starting motor. tasted the tire, tasted the front spring, eat some gravel and burnt my wrist. but she started up when warm.
probably should take you up on the timing and visit cawston!.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
13mm swivel socket and a 6" extension makes short work of that top starter bolt.
im able to get the extension inbetween the solenoid and the starter motor.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your truck is starting up fine hot now?
I had issues starting hot for a while, but also trouble starting if it was anywhere near freezing or below. Upgraded to electric lift pump and new starter and she fires right up every time, hot or cold.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A slow crank speed can affect starting when hot. If your crank speed is not in spec, then the cold water helps congeal the fuel which can overcome the issue. It's not a recommended patch. Verify that you are turning at least 150 RPM when cranking. Otherwise, it's time for another IP.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The trick I used on the top starter bolt was a 3/8 drive air ratchet, a ~3 inch extension and a deep socket. The deep socket and the extension was just the right length to put the air ratchet right in front of the starter. Popped the bolt loose, depressed the lever and backed it right out. Helped the starter fall to the ground. Hoisted the replacement back in there, used the same setup and buzzed the bolt right back in..... just to be clear on the tool I am talking about:

You must be registered for see images attach

These are a handy little tool. Use it more than you would think, plus it is not an impact wrench, so it doesn't get near as tight as an air impact will......

dhk coatings

Reaction score
yes it seems to start hot. probably could have saved some monies if I went with a new starting motor first. the starter looked new that's why I didn't replace it. I guess the PO burnt it up when trying to start it with the bad lift pump.
anyway, certainty didn't hurt installing the IP. ill give her injectors in a couple weeks. I bet they are the originals anyway, cause their still gray paint on them, If that means anything!....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online