Priming fuel system after IP Change

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After searching for far too long I am asking this question.

Is there a proper way to prime the fuel system after installing a new IP? Do I just leave the lines loose at the injectors and crank it until I have fuel running all over the place? Then tighten them and and start it up?

I don't have an electric pump and don't plan to any time soon so what is my best option here?

Thanks.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Install the fuel lines but leave them a little loose then crank it - it will push the air out. Then once you see wettness - crank 'em down and enjoy - she will still stumble but not near as much as if you didn't.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like said above just leave your lines loose and crank her over. Just do not crank too long or :angel: to your starter.

Headerpower

Reaction score
It also helps speed up the process if you hold the throttle wide open position while cranking. With the lines loose a bit it shouldn't start, and bleeds air out much quicker than if left at idle postion.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I've found to that if you start with the line at the back of the IP from the filter bleed it first then the injector lines it seems to go a bunch faster

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also found this to be the case...and always have gotten a lot of air bubbles from back there. You seriously don't want to pass these on to the pump. I hope you get it running. I would just take my time...also hook up a trickle charger to those batteries they need all they help you can give them.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I have found that pulling the valve out of the schrader valve and hooking up my Mighty-vac hand pump to the schrader valve stem, then using the pump to draw fuel up to that point eliminates some cranking time. This proceedure is most usefull when you run out of fuel and the fuel filter needs to be refilled. From that point, I put the valve back in and crack #1 injector line and crank 10-15 seconds and normally it's ready to fire.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the electric pump is a major A+ + + + + + (like in Ralphie's dream when the teacher dances around the room LOL ) Be sure to disconnect your glow plug controller until you know you have fuel at the injectors. Here is how I like to do it. Keep all injector lines tight. Loosen the fuel return at the top of the IP, and crank until you have fuel there. Tighten that up, then hold the pump wide open and crank some more (no more than 10 seconds at a time). Crack each line open at the injector, and you will hear a little ppffsstt! of air. Snug it right back up as soon as the sound stops. Hold wide open, crank and repeat. Usually about 3 or 4 times and you'll start seeing fuel at the nuts when you loosen the lines. Confirm fuel in the cylinder by looking for white smoke at the exhaust. Reconnect glow plugs and start normally.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7