Preparing for Hot August Nights

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
So this year will be the second year that i will be taking my Chevelle to Hot August nights. I have been thinking that since I now have a truck that runs i might as well tow it up there. But I have a problem, i dont have another trailer..... Our 57 Bel-Air already has first dibs on the trailer we have now, so im trying to find one I can rent, if any one knows of someplace i can rent one for a fair price please let me know.

So now on to my second part. I have never towed anything this far before, as for the truck I plan on running a new Trailer Brake Controller(Im thinking Tekonsha P3) Then fit a new Reciever to the truck, new tires, new brakes, Fix the CB and get it installed again. Change the fluids in the Trans and rear end, get a tool box for the bed to store spare parts( Belts, hoses, GPs, Assorted Filters etc) Hopefully find someone around here who can time my truck correctly. I think thats all but if you guys can think of anything else let me know, I would like to be over prepared for this cause i have never done this before. Thanks

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aside from using this as a fire to upgrade your truck, I think you'd be better off just driving the car. Parking up there sucks, you will spend just as much or more on fuel, and did I mention parking?. Is there a reason you want to trailer it? Are you worried about breaking down? I have trailered vehicles all over the place for lots of reasons, but I wouldn't trailer one of my cars to reno unless I had to take my camper too.
Travis..

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Aside from using this as a fire to upgrade your truck, I think you'd be better off just driving the car. Parking up there sucks, you will spend just as much or more on fuel, and did I mention parking?. Is there a reason you want to trailer it? Are you worried about breaking down? I have trailered vehicles all over the place for lots of reasons, but I wouldn't trailer one of my cars to reno unless I had to take my camper too.
Travis..

well the hotel we stay at has special trailer parking and because we are part of the show they have reserved parking for Participants and trailers and what not, one of the reasons i want to trailer it is because we have 5 cars going and the other truck we are taking wont have much room in it after the ramps and luggage and stuff are put in it, so if i bring my truck ill have room for tools and spare parts just in case....or if i just so happen to find a certain 496 Stroker up at the swap meet ;)

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess if you think you'll need the truck, that's a different story. It sounds like you will have the bases covered with your truck repairs/mods. What gears are in the truck?
Travis..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It has 3.55s with the T-19

That is not exactly a towing arrangement. You get a car on a trailer and head over the Sierra and you are going to have a VERY long crawl ahead. You will likely be going all the way over Donner in second. Make sure to schedule accordingly.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Yup, I forsee a slow trip. At least it is VERY scenic;SweetLOL
Travis..
X2 on that!

Sounds like you've got a good plan, though. I like to carry lots of spare parts everywhere I go.

The P3 teknonsha is a good controller, I had one on my explorer and it worked great. I had a little trouble setting it up at first, but once I finally read the instructions, things improved dramatically. :rtfm

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always better to take a lower gear and not flog the engine badly on a grade. There is no shame in going slow, but being along the side of the road broke down.... now that is a different matter.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Always better to take a lower gear and not flog the engine badly on a grade. There is no shame in going slow, but being along the side of the road broke down.... now that is a different matter.

yeah that brings back memories of last year when the Water pump in the Excursion went out 100 miles from Reno, after not sleeping two days trying to finsih the trailer. The Ford Dealership in Reno was gonna charge us $1100.00 To change it out :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course. It's a PSD. I think just opening the hood is a grand up front. :rolleyes:

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
luckily we found a kragen with a dirt lot out back that had a nice shady billboard so we pulled it back there and swapped the new pump in iin less then 2 hours :D

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but what is Hot August Nights?

As for towing I would take the garden hose and really clean out the fins on your radiator. You will be working the ol' girl pretty hard and anything you can do to keep her cool will really help. Oh and don't be afraid to turn some RPM's when downshifting. Have fun and share some pics ;Sweet

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
luckily we found a kragen with a dirt lot out back that had a nice shady billboard so we pulled it back there and swapped the new pump in iin less then 2 hours :D

As a fellow Hot August Nighter when your in Reno and need to work on something I have a nice shop at my house 10 miles north of town.

Rot Box Hot August Nights is a 10 day Car event celebrating the 50's and 60's. There are 5500 cars registered in the event and they estimate 6000 more show up and cruise town and enter the non official events. approx. 800,000 people attend Hot August Nights H.A.N. takes over Reno and Sparks for the week. There is such a demand for entries that they have a waiting list. Once your on the list it usually takes 2 years before you recieve an entry.

http://www.hotaugustnights.net/

http://renotahoe.about.com/od/eventspictures/a/hotaugustnights.htm

I have 2 cars that I enter every year. I build and maintain a collection of 12 cars for my boss that he enters every year.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to get paid to go there with my flatbed carrier. Fuel, room, food, drinks, and spending monies all taken care of.
IMHO what HAN is now is a straight up zoo.
Part of the problem is the older I get the more adverse to crowds I become.:dunno