Pre Pump Fuel Filter

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some input on what to do for my pre pump filter. I had originally installed my holley blue figuring I'd be okay not running a filter. Well that was about the worst idea I've ever had. Now I've got a pump with apparently a plugged screen and I need to clean that out, but the most important thing is I'm not going to do this no pre pump filter crap anymore. I would really like to install an Aeromotive 100 micron filter that has a valve built into the inlet side but thats a $200 filter and isn't an option right now. So has anyone used those Spectre Performance Pro Filters with the glass in them so you can see when they are plugged? In a way I don't like the glass thing but in another its kinda nice. Plus this filter is only $11. Only thing is I don't know how fine the filter element is in one of these things. Give me some input, please.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a cheap clear plastic filter running after the switching valve. It's meant to trap the really big stuff only. $3.95 filter from WIX33033 iirc.

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
what about putting the fuel/water separator before the pump? Thats what i'm thinking about doing, but i hate having it over the valve cover!

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
yes really... but now that i think about it that can be taken a few ways haha. i think it on the bulkhead on the drivers sideunder the MC

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I put a 28 mesh (very fine) filter (with removable/ cleanable screen) before my fuel pump, would I be able to go longer between changing the "main" filter? Is there some way to monitor the main filter's performance by pressure drop or something to change it on an as-needed basis rather than miles or calendar? If so, a cleanable screen pre-filter might pay for itself over time?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I've got a Racor R245 filter ahead of the stock mechanical pump, these things are designed to go on the suction side, and you can get any micron filter you want... I use the 10 micron personally, and an 8 micron fleetguard on the factory head.

The Racor unit is mounted on the frame rail just after the transfer valve.

I would imagine you can go longer between main filter changes with the Racor unit, but you would need to change the Racor filter as well.

It has a water separator and sediment bowl, so you can see what's in your fuel!

something like this... http://www.adiesel.com/store/RAC-245R2.html

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
If I put a 28 mesh (very fine) filter (with removable/ cleanable screen) before my fuel pump, would I be able to go longer between changing the "main" filter? Is there some way to monitor the main filter's performance by pressure drop or something to change it on an as-needed basis rather than miles or calendar? If so, a cleanable screen pre-filter might pay for itself over time?

You could monitor differential pressure across the filter element, you would need a way of tapping the fuel line between the pump and the filter, then use the schrader valve for the after filter measurement.

You would need some sort of differential pressure gauge, like a manometer or something similar... Pressure drop is a good way of determining filter performance.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
... Pressure drop is a good way of determining filter performance.

Yea like my truck right now. lol Just enough pressure to make it run but if you think you're gonna go anywhere with it, it'll make you think again about a mile down the road when the filter runs out of fuel. :rolleyes:

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 91 F-350 which i put a first gen. Cummins in and I pulled the OE filter off of my 6.9 and mounted it to the frame just in front of the fuel tank and that seems to be working pretty good as well.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Really... Hmmm. I have several of the 6.9 filter heads. Will the Holley pump suck through that thing decently you think?

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I think it will! My stock mechanical pump pulls through the racor 10 micron filter just fine. I even had a 2 micron filter on there and it was fine.

Gravity does most of the work, when the filter is mounted on the frame rail...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online