Pre or Post EGT

BukWild

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Where's the best place to mount the EGT probe. I've been told before the turbo by some people and then I've been told after the turbo by others. Just wondering which is a better place to tell before damage is done. I've had a diesel years ago, but this is my first turbo diesel and I want it to last a while.:confused:

Max Power

Reaction score
I would go post turbo. Then you know what the EGT's are going into the turbo. Post doesn't really tell you anything as far as I am concerned. After all that is what you are trying to protect is your turbo.

MUDDY

Reaction score
go pre.more acurate,quiker response.ya cant always go by the 300 degrees estimation. amount of boost can change that. some have seen 5-600 diff pre to post

ya gotta protect the pistons too,not just the turbo

MUDDY

Reaction score
i drive a ctd, but i doubt temp range be much diff from a chev. all aluminum alloy pistons. anything past 1350 is pushin it. i never let mine go past 1200 for very long

Max Power

Reaction score
mtomac says he has seen his pegged for several seconds 1500+ Most agree 1350 is about as high as you want to go.

radshooter

Reaction score
I stopped at the local accessory shop today to price gauges and install. They looked at me like I was crazy when I said I wanted both pre and post EGT gauges. They had never heard of putting a pyro pre-turbo. Should I even bother going back to these people? Makes me wonder if they know what they are talking about. I admit I am new to the game, but I have been researching this for about 6 months now. What do you guys think?

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get pre/post but only in a snowmobile gauge HERE. I have a post egt gauge but would like dual. Post gives you a better shut down reading, where pre gives you a more accurate running reading.

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by radshooter
I stopped at the local accessory shop today to price gauges and install. They looked at me like I was crazy when I said I wanted both pre and post EGT gauges. They had never heard of putting a pyro pre-turbo. Should I even bother going back to these people? Makes me wonder if they know what they are talking about. I admit I am new to the game, but I have been researching this for about 6 months now. What do you guys think?

pm or e'mail member Rip Rook for price on gauges. He is a great guy and should be able to help.

Ggg

Reaction score
It is kind of funny these pre/post discussions. They only occur when talking about light duty trucks. Every EGT gage I have ever seen used in heavy diesel applications no matter if its was off-shore,stationary,off-road,or on-road, has the probe mounted pre turbo. The factory installed EGT probes in heavy diesels are mounted pre turbo. And when a heavy diesel operator comes in and wants a EGT it is a given they want it pre turbo, never any discussions pre v/s post.

Wideopen

It's all about me.
Reaction score
Why not run both......I've seen this argument in every site I've visited..with the manufaturing companys putting them Pre..I have to go with that..I would think whats coming into the turbo would be more inportant than the Out... Just my $20.00 worth

B

Big K

Originally posted by Ggg
It is kind of funny these pre/post discussions. They only occur when talking about light duty trucks. Every EGT gage I have ever seen used in heavy diesel applications no matter if its was off-shore,stationary,off-road,or on-road, has the probe mounted pre turbo. The factory installed EGT probes in heavy diesels are mounted pre turbo. And when a heavy diesel operator comes in and wants a EGT it is a given they want it pre turbo, never any discussions pre v/s post.

That's just the opposite of what I've read elsewhere:confused:

Many of the arguments for post-turbo mounting use the reasoning that the big rigs run post so turbo is not damaged in the event of probe failure.

I believe that I have a pretty good grasp or the advantages/disadvantages of both mountings, and intend to eventually be able to have both.

I have no heavy diesel experience, so I'm not calling you on this, just curious 'cause I simply don't know. This is the first I've heard someone make this statement.

MUDDY

Reaction score
i like the idea of 2 pyrometers. i have 2. both pre. 1 on front 3 cyl 1 on rear 3 cyl

radshooter

Reaction score
Nail Bender...Thanks for the info. Why can't I run the same gauge pre as post? Doesn't the pre gauge run up to 1500? Why wouldn't this also work for post? I want pre and post because the trailer I intend to pull weighs 16K, or there abouts. We need to be able to run coast to coast, but intend to concentrate mostly in the Western US. Everything from Rockies to Salt Flats. I want to know what is happening on the road, then know when the turbo is cool enough when we shut down for the day to shut off the engine. I am leaning towards 2 seperate gauges, or one single gauge with a DPDT switch. The dual gauges are neat, but they just look too crowded and confusing for quick glances while driving to me. Besides, if I go with 2 seperate pyros, and a boost, I can fill a 3-gauge pillar mount!!!

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to run the same style guage. All of the post turbo ones that I have seen just have a lower # scale on them. As for the cool down temps mine is pre turbo I just idle till it is close to 300 then shut down. Pre turbo makes more sense to me, I would rather see the temp before the turbo fries instead of the temp coming out of it:eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Staff online

Members online