Pre-Cups?

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the need of some new precups. Does anyone have some for sale?

Don't ask why I need them. I just do.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Put your year of engine.
IIRC, the 7.3 and 6.9 use different ones and maybe the 7.3 n/a vs turbo. Can't remember for sure though.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really not a difference in the 6.9 or 7.3 precups. There may have been a difference years ago but now its all the same. Kind of like the na and turbo head gaskets or the na or turbo oil cooler bundles. they are all the same now and all are turbo type head gaskets and oil cooler bundles. No matter where you find them they are going to be expensive. I believe they are made from Inconel material because of the heat and erosion that can happen in the throats. BTW the proper recession or depression of the cups in the heads is plus or minus 2 1/2 thousands high or low of the head.

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put your year of engine.
IIRC, the 7.3 and 6.9 use different ones and maybe the 7.3 n/a vs turbo. Can't remember for sure though.

1994 7.3 IDI turbo.. Need all 8.. They are all cracked to the fire ring and bits of the cup busted.

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say don't ask, but foes this involve crack in a can?

Most ask why am I wanting to replace my precups.. It is because of cracks...

Do you have any you're willing to pass up?

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
It changes often, but have you looked at rockauto? As dealerships close,purge, whatever it gets sold or sent to rock auto sometimes. I've had some steals before from them. Maybe you get lucky there, and look around online for 5% off coupon codes

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall a member posting he also needed precups and his dealer told him ford discontinued them. I have not verified that statement yet but try checking at International too. they are the company that actually made and assembled these engines. Somebody has to be making them because we can buy new heads for the 7.3 engines today. they are made offshore but they are better built than the oem heads.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like somebody gave that engine healthy shots of ether to get it to start.

Do you know any history on the engine? Were you the one that gave it ether?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, early 6.9 & later 6.9 (83/early 84 & 84-87) were slightly different, and then the 7.3 cups are also a bit different. Something like 18 cc vs 21 cc on the 7.3 IIRC. I'd try to use cups from a head with the same casting number for sure, and probably check that they match visually as well.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I believe all we can buy these days are the cups with the "88" cast into them.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need all 8..

Show me a picture of the heads so I can see the shape of the cups..
will see what I can do, kinda busy with shop cleanup. need to get bench space but will try, if I say they are good...THEY will be good.

I'm not here to jack anyone of their $$ I don't need be in hall of shame! LOL

With four heads off I'm sure I've got 8 good ones, but I've got 4 more heads I can pull too... :D The Super says gotta get some cleanup done so kinda working that angle right now!