jonleroy2506

Reaction score
Hey all,

I tried looking around for similar posts, but I couldn't seem to find any solutions to the problems I am having, so here goes:

Drivers side power window worked when I bought it, but now I have to press the switch and push the window up and down. Passenger window never worked, and is stuck up. Doesn't seem to matter how hard I pull on that window, it wont budge.

So, rather than trying to deal with electrical issues, I am wondering if I can just get rid of the window motors and put in manual window actuators. I would think that the door would be designed to take both power and manual parts, but I want to be sure before I go buying parts.

On a similar side note, I am not a fan of the electric locks either. The passenger side works fine, but the drivers side lock doesnt work at all, even with a key. I am curious if I can rig up manual locks as well. I would definitely have to modify the doope panels, or get a hold of some new ones, but I would rather spend the time and money putting in manual windows and locks that chasing down electrical issues.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am curious if I can rig up manual locks as well. I

That's easy, just pull out the actuators and you'll have manual locks. Problem is the actuators get old and seize up. All you have to do is pull them out and your manual locks will work fine!

Can't say on the windows, but probably all you need is new motors.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are going to go through just as much work, and even more... Swapping all the mechanisms and such, to convert to manual windows... As you would, just replacing the motors and mechanisms for your electric ones to work. You'll also have to replace the door panels, if you don't want to drive around with your manual handles sticking out of holes drilled in the panels, and your buttons all still there for the electric.

Given your explanation of the problem I'd guess that your driver's door switches need replaced, but the motor and regulator are good. Passenger side MIGHT need motor/regulator, and/or switch.

jonleroy2506

Reaction score
Thank you for your help here. I decided as long as I'm going to need to replace parts, I may as well just swap over to manual windows. I just removed both electric lock actuators and both locks are working properly now. Ill order the manual handles and actuators, and I really dont care about the door panels. I may replace them one day, but theres no reason to now, in my mind

Asabc99

Reaction score
Thank you for your help here. I decided as long as I'm going to need to replace parts, I may as well just swap over to manual windows. I just removed both electric lock actuators and both locks are working properly now. Ill order the manual handles and actuators, and I really dont care about the door panels. I may replace them one day, but theres no reason to now, in my mind

Keep us updated on how it goes, I've been wanting to do the same on my truck but haven't found any solid information on it.

jonleroy2506

Reaction score
Keep us updated on how it goes, I've been wanting to do the same on my truck but haven't found any solid information on it.

Bought the manual actuators and they mounted right in. They use different mounting holes in the door, but that wasn't a big deal. Had to also buy a rivet gun because I didn't have one big enough, but that wasn't a big deal either. The door panel already had a hole on the plastic on the back where you cut out the carpet material on the panel for the handles. Works great now, both windows go up and down and both doors lock and unlock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online