Power loss/Power Difference

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I have the truck in my sig, 86, 6.9, yada, yada. I went to look at a 1988 F-250, 7.3L, ZF5, 4x4 truck today. No turbo on either, but the truck I went to look at would get DOWN. This truck was faster than my 2.3L 5 speed Foxbody mustang, I know not saying a lot but I was very surprised with the power/speed of this truck. What I want to know is where is my power in the rollback?? Its a **** compared to the 250. I know the 250 is a little lighter but the rollback only weights 6800-7000 lbs empty, no fuel, no driver, etc. The 250 can't be much lighter than that being 4x4, etc. The truck I looked at was 100% stock down to the pump and injectors with 166K on the clock. My truck has new injectors but needs a pump, it has new filters and fluids, and cetane booster. Do I just need a pump that bad?? I know it could be compression but I have no way to test it right now, maybe when the Snap-On truck comes by next month...

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Rollback hasn't had a "loss of power" since I have owned it but again I have only put around 3K miles on it in the last year I've had it. The only difference in the two is 7.3L vs 6.9L and possible power loss do to engine degradation. I looked for a gear ratio tag but it was missing, I am betting its a 3.55 truck by the way it pulled in the upper gears.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well one you said you need a pump
two rollback means loaded heavy a lot so a lot more wear
three if that trucks all stock then the pump may be worn really bad (dont ask)
the old pump on my truck would drag off the line but at highway speeds 45-55 i could punch it and out run a early 00s cummins with load
that pump wasnt even able to be timed it was so shot

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well one you said you need a pump
two rollback means loaded heavy a lot so a lot more wear
three if that trucks all stock then the pump may be worn really bad (dont ask)
the old pump on my truck would drag off the line but at highway speeds 45-55 i could punch it and out run a early 00s cummins with load
that pump wasnt even able to be timed it was so shot

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My two cents:

-Worn IP on the F350
-Worn Injectors on the F350
-Retarded timing on the F350
-Weight difference
-Mileage/wear on the F350's 6.9

:dunno

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2,000 miles = worn out injectors??

I honestly don't know where you got your injectors from, but there are several companies sellling reman'ed injectors that are terrible from mile one. Shoot, even a new out of the box injector can be bad as well.

Heath

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol at the timing. I need to check it bad. I got a buddy with the tool, I just don't have the time to get together and get it timed.

The injectors are from Typ4. They are checked and tested Delphi BB's.

I do plan on getting a pump but IDK what the plans are so far. The truck is getting worked on slowly but sure-ly.

I was just VERY suprised with the power that this truck has. Granted it was 3/4 rusted out and gone which could count as a weight reduction, but it had a long bed FULL of snow and ice, 4x4, etc. I would say the weight was very close between the two vehicles.