Possibly moving north....

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My line of work may find me moving north in a year to year and a half or so. I currently live in Louisiana, at a humble 250ft ASL. The place I may end up is Moscow, ID. At roughly 2500 ASL. I'm considering ditching my current NA 7.3 for a low mile, old body PSD when the time gets nearer because I'm not sure how the IDI (especiallt NA) will like the altitude. Also concerned about parts availability....

Thoughts?

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went by Moscow on a road trip a few months ago, though I was in the wife's Jetta TDI. I wouldn't sell the IDI just because of the altitude (2500 ft ain't much). A turbo would be nice, but not absolutely essential.

In my experience, PSDs can have more trouble starting when not plugged in - meaning they will not start below freezing without being plugged in. This is NOT to say that all PSD's are this way, I've just known a few people who replaced injectors, glowplugs, batteries, battery cables, starters, and checked codes etc to no avail but they still wouldn't fire. Living currently in an apartment, as well as wanting to be able to go on a hunting weekend far away from a power source, I want my truck to fire every time plugged in or not.

If you want a PSD, go for it, but I wouldn't do it for parts or altitude concerns.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Back before I put my turbo on, I hauled my 5er a few times grossing over 18k to that height and on stuff with 20% grades :eek: Wouldn't set any speed records, but it would pull the thing. On the interstate it would keep up with the big trucks on the hills hauling that load. I certainly don't see why you would want to get rid of a good truck for something you are going to have to pump a lot of money into.
If you want more power, spend the cash wisely and get a new Hypermax turbo kit ;Sweet it would love pulling those hills around there ( but quite frankly for Moscow ID your first investment should be the best damn brakes money can buy. THe hill going from there down to Lewiston is one that requires at least 2 spare changes of shorts. The last runaway ramp is right IN TOWN :eek:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Moscow aint too far south of the border from me. Im higher, and colder and I wouldn't sell your idi simply due to elevation.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the responses I like to hear. I never haul heavy really, just a four wheeler or project truck. I may work a turbo into the budget if i can. Thanks.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
My elevation is usually 5200-5500 feet, sometimes up to 6200. Haven't noticed any degradation in performance. The 7.3 NA IDI pulls a 6000lb load just fine.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
If 2500' is too much for an IDI I'm screwed at 4500' :D If it was 7K or higher I'd start looking for forced induction ;Sweet As for parts availability IDI's are everywhere out here. They make great ranch trucks and sold like hotcakes during their time. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

On a side note that a pretty big change in scenery! You'll love the rocky mountains and their beauty :sly

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quite frankly for Moscow ID your first investment should be the best damn brakes money can buy. THe hill going from there down to Lewiston is one that requires at least 2 spare changes of shorts. The last runaway ramp is right IN TOWN :eek:

You are not kidding about that :eek::eek:

artfd

Reaction score
My line of work may find me moving north in a year to year and a half or so. I currently live in Louisiana, at a humble 250ft ASL. The place I may end up is Moscow, ID. At roughly 2500 ASL. I'm considering ditching my current NA 7.3 for a low mile, old body PSD when the time gets nearer because I'm not sure how the IDI (especiallt NA) will like the altitude. Also concerned about parts availability....

Thoughts?
I wouldn't be concerned. Your problem in Moscow ID is more likely to be intermittent severe cold temps interfering with starting (but not in running). If you pay attention to temps in the cold season and can plug in a block heater when it's appropriate, you should not have a problem.
Anyone used to weather in the deep south, have to form new habits just to get by when driving in places like Moscow. There the roads (especially bridges) will form ice off & on, visibility will fluctuate from good to zero depending on temps & which way the wind is blowing, your fuel may or may not gel, etc. If you don't mend your ways to match the road conditions, you can wind up wrecked or with a vehicle that can't be started.
Now my existing IDI has severe problems when I attempt to drive it above 4500 feet ASL due to an newer design injection pump which replaced an OEM pump that could tolerate (just barely) driving to 10000' ASL earlier in my truck's career. So I just don't go there any more. You may indeed run into this operating problem if you intend to drive to some areas not that far from Moscow ID -- if you must drive at higher altitudes regularly you may indeed need a turbo.

Last edited:

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent 3.5 years at WSU in Pullman, WA which is just 8 miles west of there. You'll be fine with the IDI, and will probably want a block or coolant heater at some points during the winter months (lows are typically in upper teens or lower 20s, but at times can get down to the single digits).

They don't salt the roads, mostly sand and small gravel, but at times it can be hairy. I'd have a set of winter tires if you can. If you have AT-type tread which is good in snow and slush, at the very least get them siped, as this will really help to increase the traction on ice.

It's a beautiful area and you'll really like it. Small-town feel but there is a lot of culture and entertainment for that size area due to the state colleges there and in Pullman.